Leidos has a long history of innovative problem-solving and customer service, dating all the way back to 1969 when Dr. J. Robert Beyster founded Science Applications Incorporated (SAI). SAI evolved into Science Applications International Corporation. Leidos is the technology solutions foundation of Dr. Beyster’s original company. Today, Leidos a global, 32,000-employee Fortune 500 enterprise committed to making the world safer, healthier, and more efficient. Over the past half-century, Leidos has worked in some of the most advanced areas of science and technology to deliver critical solutions to our customers' most demanding challenges.
The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) was established at the start of 2019 to be the technology-driven core of Leidos and continue our tradition of solving the toughest scientific and engineering problems for our customers. The LInC primarily performs externally-funded contract research and development (CRAD) work for customers such as DARPA, IARPA, AFRL and Intelligence Community (IC) Science and Technology (S&T) organizations. LInC’s mission is to address emerging national technical challenges and in doing so, provide solutions to these challenges while developing technologies, platforms and discriminators to support program capture and execution within the Leidos enterprise as a whole.
LInC has over 1,000 employees, nearly all of whom hold security clearances. The vast majority have STEM educations and many have advanced degrees. Our employees include one third of the Leidos Technical Fellows and many of the top Solutions Architects in Leidos, all of whom are S&T Subject Matter Experts.
The Deputy Director of the LInC will report directly to the LInC Director and assist the Director in meeting our goals for revenue growth and P&L while leading research and development over a broad array of externally- and internally-funded technology areas. For example, our Multi-Spectrum Warfare and Analytics Division performs research and development in Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning (AI/ML); Data Analytics and Data Science; Automatic Target Recognition; EO threat sensing and countermeasures; target signature simulation; airborne autonomy; Directed Energy including High Power Microwave (HPM) and High Energy Laser (HEL); and stand-off chemical/explosive detection.
Our ISR and CBRN Sensing Division develops distributed networked ground sensing; GPS-denied navigation technology; biological, chemical and radiation sensing; autonomous underwater and space vehicle technology; space payload development including proliferated small-sat constellations of IR surveillance sensors and communications systems; and portable x-ray systems for detecting explosives, weapons and other contraband.
Lastly, our Electronic Warfare Division develops high performance signal processing solutions for radars, advanced EW algorithms, RF surveillance sensors and designs/develops custom System-on-a-Chip components leveraging them to reduce space, weight and power (SWAP) for real-time, high bandwidth applications. The EW Division applies AI/ML to challenging problems in Spectrum Awareness and Cognitive EW. They mature, produce and transition capabilities from R&D to programs of record and products. Our Bloodhound® product is one such example: a portable, low-profile, high frequency geolocation system for tactical operations.
• Collaborating with the four Leidos operating Groups (Defense, Intelligence, Health and Civil) to provide technical discriminators and support for key captures and program execution.
• Providing thought leadership in development and execution of our growth strategies to include opportunity identification and program capture process.
• Working with the LInC Director, Finance Director and Division Managers to help develop the annual Operating Plan and Quarterly Forecasts.
• Working with our Program Director to oversee program execution within the LInC.
• Working with the Leidos CTO, the LInC CTO and the LInC Director to optimize our IRaD strategy.
• Meeting with customers, strategic partners, prime contractors, subcontractors, and universities in support of our growth and execution goals.
• Supporting leadership hiring initiatives.
A qualified candidate will:
• Have at least twelve years of experience in progressive P&L and business operations roles with the ideal candidate having led the entirety of operations for an organization of at least $100M in annual revenue, combined with a Bachelor’s Degree (additional experience, education or training will be considered).
• Have solid experience and market visibility within a related industry such as aerospace / defense, intelligence, including government contracting experience.
• Be a key thought leader who is able to create and develop initiatives that will keep the company as an industry leader and translate into tangible shareholder value.
• Have solid R&D program capture, management and execution experience with one or more R&D customers including DARPA, IARPA, AFRL, ONR and the IC S&T community.
• Have a proven track record of business leadership and growth, gained within the DoD and Intel environment. He/she will have a corresponding level of credibility and access within the market.
• Be able to articulate examples of having identified, pursued and won large capture efforts in areas related to LInC business.
• Have experience managing large and technical programs of record profitably, ideally having led the transition of an R&D program into a program of record.
• The candidate must have a deep working knowledge of the government contracting industry and the technical capabilities of government customers and acquisition candidates.
• Have demonstrated insight and awareness of emerging markets, technologies and customer trends that will shape future acquisition targets.
• Possess the capability to decipher complex sensitive analyses under varying growth assumptions and a proven track record in the development of successful game-changing strategic initiatives.
• Be able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance.
• Be able to travel up to 25%.
• Live in the National Capital Region.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Broad DoD and IC market awareness and broader experience across systems engineering and complex solutions is ideal.
• Recognition as a technology expert and be viewed by both internal management and external agencies as an individual able to build strong relationships.
• A management and personal style that is open, flexible, honest and collaborative, with a commitment to building strong relationships with the management team and the organization at large.
• Superior intellectual capability, high-energy and self-motivation.
• Personal traits that include assertiveness, inspiration, strong perception, insightfulness and creativity.
• The ability to thrive in a highly interactive team environment
• Highly effective interpersonal, communication, collaborative, and leadership skills.
• The experience, energy and enthusiasm to work alongside a progressive leadership team tackling multiple priorities throughout the organization, and the ability to develop and implement diverse ideas and best practices into a coordinated strategic roadmap.
• The ability to lead and mentor teams of diverse professionals to provide exceptional business solutions.
• The gravitas and interpersonal skills to work with and gain the respect of the C-Suite and Board.
• The ability to work well under pressure, multi-task, and deliver multiple priorities.
• Business and financial savvy and the capability to quickly understand all the business lines of the company and be able to develop focused strategic direction.
• The ability to effectively build and maintain strong relationships across all levels of the organization and in the broader industry.
• Unquestionable integrity and professional ethics.
• Strong analytic skills and will be energetic, proactive, resourceful and self-motivated. He/She will be driven, quick on their feet, attentive to detail, credible and dedicated to producing work of the highest caliber.
Lastly, the successful candidate will be a strong, direct leader who can act as a positive catalyst within the LInC. He/she should be a confident and personable individual who is comfortable working at the highest level while able to build bridges at all levels of the corporation. She/he will be a major stakeholder in the success and growth of the organization.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Division Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.