Job Requisition:Senior Energy Engineer
The Leidos Civil Group is seeking a Senior Energy Engineer for its role on the Mission Execution and Strategic Analysis (MESA) contract for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). NETL is a DOE national laboratory that produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems that make coal more competitive, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural gas extraction and transmission processes, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled men and women at three NETL research sites – Albany, Ore., Morgantown, W.Va., and Pittsburgh, Pa. – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States. NETL’s research spans the entire fossil energy value chain – exploration; production and processing; conversion, and; disposal/reuse – with a focus on enabling activities in each segment of the value chain to be performed as efficiently and environmentally-responsibly as possible.
The position will support NETL in the conduct of systems engineering and analysis studies focused on advancing coal- and natural gas-related power generation technologies. Some examples of these analyses include:
- Assessing laboratory-scale research within the context of application at a commercial plant
- Evaluating the impact of new and/or proposed legislation on fossil power generation at large
- Interaction with power generation technology vendors and developers
- Engagement with power generation community stakeholders (e.g., utilities, institutions, research organizations and laboratories)
- Many other pathways
The successful candidate will work on local and geographically dispersed teams with other engineers, scientists, technicians, subject matter experts, faculty members, post-doctoral students, and graduate and undergraduate students from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds. The candidate will attend regular and ad hoc meetings and contribute to the development of written reports, journal articles, and presentations on findings and innovative solutions.
This position will be at the Morgantown, WV NETL site.
B.S./M.S./Ph.D. in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering. 5-8 years of experience in energy systems analysis, with an emphasis on the following:
- Pulverized coal power plants
- Natural gas combined cycle plants
- Aspen Plus process simulation software
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) capture (pre- and post-combustion) and utilization
- Power systems cost estimating
US Citizenship or Green Card is required.
- Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, able to take initiative, and work well both independently and as a member of a team to meet multiple deadlines. They will demonstrate competency in scientific and engineering modeling and analysis tools applicable to the specific tasks.
- Aspen Plus is the primary modeling platform utilized. A successful candidate will possess moderate to extensive experience (e.g., formal educational training and/or practical industrial experience) in the use of Aspen Plus and related sub-packages.
- In lieu of specific Aspen Plus experience, a combination of cursory familiarity with Aspen platforms and specific experience with other similar types of analysis tools (e.g., PRO/II, Fluent, MFIX, ChemCad, Thermoflow, or others) will be considered.
- Successful candidates will also possess strong oral and written communications skills, particularly: Ability to analyze and interpret data generated from research and clearly report results; Ability to author and/or co-author reports, manuscripts, and articles suitable for inclusion in refereed journals, and; Ability to present research results in public settings in conferences and similar settings.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Chemical Engineering1000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.