Job Requisition:Systems Engineer Senior, Cloud Networking Engineer
Leidos has a current opening in Austin Information Technology Center (AITC) for a ‘Systems Engineer, Senior’ supporting Veterans Affairs Enterprise Cloud networking infrastructure initiatives of the Veteran's Administration (VA) Office of Information Technology (OIT). This is an advanced opportunity to use your Cloud Network knowledge and skills to support the VA Infrastructure Operations (IO) and IOSS initiatives.
The Cloud Networking and Infrastructure Engineer will guide VA customers on how to configure and deploy their Government Cloud infrastructure consisting of network architecture, application security, identity and access management, logging, monitoring, and more. You will consult with VA customers on how to best design, deploy and optimize their cloud network infrastructure for high availability, reliability, performance and scale. You will deploy solutions and deliver workshops to educate and empower customers. In this role, you are the Network Engineer working with and supporting VA Enterprise Cloud customers.
Together with the Architecture and SRE teams, the Cloud Networking and Infrastructure Engineer will support customer implementations of Azure Government and AWS Cloud products through: architecture guidance, best practices, capacity planning, implementation, troubleshooting, monitoring and more.
This is a hands-on cloud network engineering role, with a focus on migrating client’s workloads to the VA Enterprise Cloud and debugging network and network security issues. The successfully hired candidate will ensure high customer satisfaction delivering migrations of a VA client’s environments to the AWS or Microsoft government cloud. The candidate would ensure a highly satisfied customer experience and drive to reduce labor input, costs, implementation time, and time to benefit.
The Cloud Networking and Infrastructure Engineer will be able to build the networks and software that manages and monitors the VA enterprise clouds networks in Azure and AWS. The Veterans Affairs Enterprise Cloud’s success depends on our world-class network infrastructure, and our network depends on our Cloud Network Engineering teams.
Cloud Networking and Infrastructure Engineer will have responsibility for the automation of deploying network infrastructure across all our cloud network fabrics that support the VA applications. They will deploy, scale and automate the VA network across multiple global cloud providers. This includes existing footprints and greenfield locations. They will create simple, repetitive deployment processes that increase both velocity and quality.
The necessary skills include site reliability engineering, enterprise infrastructure engineering; network and solutions architecture; quality assurance; configuration and release management; IT security awareness; and process engineering services for the infrastructure, as well as the applications within the VA portfolio.
- Provide guidance to VA customers on how to configure and design, deploy and optimize their cloud network infrastructure for high availability, reliability, performance and scale.
- Assist in the design and architecture of new Cloud/virtual networks.
- Provide network performance forecasting and suggests operational improvements.
- Work with VA customers, vendors, common carriers and infrastructure engineers in the identification and resolution of complex network problems.
- Provide tactical and strategic input on overall network planning and related projects.
- Ensure operational performance and security standards are maintained
- Provide support for IP communications between internal, external, cloud, and shared services environments.
- Provide cross-training and mentoring to fellow team members.
- Assist teams in the evaluation of existing applications and mapping to the most appropriate cloud model. (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS)
- Build infrastructure automation using scripts, runbooks, and orchestration.
- Provide subject-matter expertise in the evaluation of system requirements, architectures, models, designs, and release/deployment plans.
- Participate in the development of action plans to remedy findings from assessments.
- Work with system development teams to remediate findings and, when required, provide solutions to system teams.
- Coordinate with service providers such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Software as a Service (SaaS) vendors for support as needed.
- Work closely with Cloud Platform Architects to sync on VA enterprise initiatives and communicate needs of the agency for new strategies.
- Ensure compliance with applicable cyber requirements and other government policies and directives.
- Assist the IT Service Desk when needed to troubleshoot and quickly resolve issues for end users.
- Collaborate with other groups in influencing the modernization strategy for our platforms and provide guidance on Micro Service and Orchestration services.
- Publish and present architectural changes to peers and technology leaders.
- Minimum of a Masters degree computer science, software engineering, or information systems; with 10 years of experience. An additional 10 years of work experience can be considered in lieu of a Masters degree.
- Five Plus (5+) years of enterprise scale Network operations experience Routers, Switches and Load Balancers.
- Two Plus (2+) years’ experience with public cloud infrastructure in various cloud architectures. (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP, Oracle).
- Solid understanding of cloud models. (IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS).
- Strong knowledge of cloud connectivity and network infrastructures.
- Expertise in working in defense or intelligence community Cloud environments, including Microsoft Azure Government (MAG), AWS GovCloud, or MilCloud.
- Experience using Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), Web Application Security Assessment (WASA), and/or National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) protocols and standards.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 31,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.17 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2017. (NYSE: LDOS) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering2000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.