Job Requisition:Systems Engineer Senior, Cloud Transformation-Migration
Leidos has a current opening in Austin Information Technology Center (AITC) for a ‘Systems Engineer, Senior’ supporting Veterans Affairs Enterprise Cloud transformation-migration initiatives of the Veteran's Administration (VA) Office of Information Technology (OIT). This is an advanced opportunity to use your Cloud transformation-migration expertise and skills to support the VA Infrastructure Operations (IO) and IOSS initiatives.
Cloud Transformation Engineers will provide support public and private cloud hosted enterprise applications for multiple programs supporting the VA. This Engineer is responsible for communicating cloud patterns and establishing cloud readiness criteria while assisting teams in mapping and migration of applications to the most appropriate cloud model.
This is a hands-on cloud engineering role, with a focus on migrating clients’ workloads to the VA Enterprise Cloud. The purpose of the role is to focus on delivering infrastructure migrations to the AWS or Microsoft Government cloud for large VA clients. This role includes ownership of technical, agency and service elements related to cloud migration project engagements along with building IaaS/PaaS infrastructure landing zones.
The successfully hired candidate will ensure high customer satisfaction delivering migrations of a VA client’s environments to the AWS or Microsoft government cloud. The candidate would ensure a highly satisfied customer experience and drive to reduce labor input, costs, implementation time, and time to benefit.
The ideal candidate should be prepared to communicate the benefits of cloud native, 12-factor app methodology, test-driven development and possesses a strong development background. The Cloud Solution Architect/Engineer specializing in migrations is a cloud role in the project delivery cycle with hands on experience migrating customers to the cloud. In this role, the candidate will work collaboratively with cross-organizational VA teams to deploy and automate infrastructure and application systems. Additionally, candidates will automate and streamline processes; build and maintain operational tools; and troubleshoot and resolve issues in development, test and production environments.
The necessary skills include site reliability engineering, enterprise infrastructure engineering; network and solutions architecture; software and systems development; quality assurance; configuration and release management; IT security awareness; and process engineering services for the infrastructure, as well as the applications within the VA portfolio.
- Assist teams in the evaluation of existing applications and mapping to the most appropriate cloud model. (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS)
- Determine appropriate scenarios for effective use of containerization.
- Use site reliability expertise to collaboratively work with other technical teams to provide guidance and ensure systems and solutions are scalable and reliable
- Develop applications in support of cloud readiness, onboarding and cloud transformation
- Build infrastructure automation using scripts, runbooks, and orchestration.
- Provide subject-matter expertise in the evaluation of system requirements, architectures, models, designs, and release/deployment plans.
- Evaluate current systems for various components to include requirements, architecture, design, modeling, planning, and release and deployment artifacts.
- Participate in the development of action plans to remedy findings from assessments.
- Work with system development teams to remediate findings and, when required, provide solutions to system teams.
- Coordinate with service providers such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Software as a Service (SaaS) vendors for support as needed.
- Work closely with Cloud Platform Architects to sync on VA enterprise initiatives and communicate needs of the agency for new strategies.
- Ensure compliance with applicable cyber requirements and other government policies and directives.
- Utilize engineering and integration of tools and software for use in operating FedRAMP cloud environments.
- Resolve problems reported or discovered; include root cause analysis and reporting.
- Design and document the automation and associated designs by analyzing requirements; construct workflow charts and diagrams; study system capabilities; and write specifications.
- Provide enhancements or improvements to systems by studying current workflows and designs and determining inefficiencies.
- Prepare technical reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Support configuration management, quality assurance, and cybersecurity throughout the release cycle in an Agile environment.
- Assist the IT Service Desk when needed to troubleshoot and quickly resolve issues for end users.
- Collaborate with other groups in influencing the modernization strategy for our platforms and provide guidance on Micro Service and Orchestration services.
- Publish and present architecture to peers and technology leaders.
- Minimum of a Masters degree computer science, software engineering, or information systems; with 10 years of experience. An additional 10 years of work experience can be considered in lieu of a Masters degree.
- Two Plus (2+) years experience developing cloud native applications. (Private/Public)
- Two Plus (2+) years experience with public cloud infrastructure in various cloud architectures. (e.g., Azure, AWS, GCP, Oracle)
- Solid understanding of cloud models. (IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS)
- Strong understanding of cloud migration techniques and workflows (on premise to Cloud Platforms)
- Cloud or DevOps Technology certifications.
- Experience in building distributed / service oriented / microservices-style and cloud based application architectures.
- Experience in working in defense or intelligence community Cloud environments, including Microsoft Azure Government (MAG), AWS GovCloud, or MilCloud.
- Experience using Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), Web Application Security Assessment (WASA), and/or National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) protocols and standards.
- Experience with security and compliance with various industry standards like HIPAA, PHI, CIS Benchmarks etc.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 31,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.17 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2017. (NYSE: LDOS) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering2000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.