Job Requisition:Transportation Systems Engineer
Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry? Leidos leads USDOT’s research and development of new technologies to improve the safety, operation, and efficiency of the nation’s transportation system. We’re seeking a Transportation Systems Engineer who is motivated by variety and enjoys leading critical tasks necessary for Connected Vehicle (CV) infrastructure (V2I & V2X) support. The Systems Engineer is expected to guide the work of multiple teams in coordination with the program manager.
Location: Denver, CO
The Systems Engineer duties include, but not limited to:
- Lead in developing architecture and design; from the field layer all the way to the cloud infrastructure, inclusive of any middleware, data brokers, back-office systems, on-premise hardware, outdoor fiber network, Traffic Management Center, enterprise network, and the Enterprise Data Management (EDM) cloud platform.
- Working directly with connected vehicle technology, specifically including standards related to dedicated short-range communications (DSRC), J2735 message sets, and related standards and protocols.
- Use of transportation technologies and standards, including NTCIP protocols for traffic signal controllers.
- Developing networks and security, including working with legacy and modern network architectures.
- Prototyping system solutions, establish minimal viable products, prove out proofs of concept, and document the process and lessons learned.
- Evaluate vendors for fit and performance against stated standards, including:
- Support for open architectures
- Interoperability across devices and layers of the technology stack
- Support for open source components, libraries, and source code
- Develop mechanisms to scale prototypes or solutions to scale, and in the process:
- Contributing back to open source community
- Collaborating with broader deployer ecosystem
- Deliver all artifacts of design and diagram work, produce technical documentation for a broad audience.
- Establish best practices for customers, including from the perspectives of:
- Build out
- Rollout at scale
- Interface with other agencies and teams, including:
- Field technicians in the tech shop and construction teams
- Network and security leadership in technology services
- Serve as the primary problem solver for technical issues between stakeholders.
- Established continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps cadence, and orchestrated enrollment for digital ecosystems.
- Manage and oversee multiple technical teams and direct reports, including contracted teams.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or other related field
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in IT
- Fluent in the following programming languages: Java, C, C++ and Python
- Proficient experience in architecting and developing systems leveraging framework and concepts such as Serverless, Micro services, Big Data solutions and analytics, Machine Learning algorithms, IoT/M2M.
- Experience in all phases involved in development SDLC, converting business requirements into technical specifications.
- Experience with Full stack Java/J2EE architecture and development.
- Knowledge in technical implementation on Docker, Kubernetes, Continuous Integration and deployment, DevOps and Security.
- Experience in all phases of requirements gathering, design, development, execution implementation, coding, debugging, documentation, Integration, testing, release and training activities.
- Must have at least one or a combination of the following Certifications:
- AWS: Architect, Developer, and Administrator
- MIT Digital Programs: Cybersecurity
- SUN: Web Component Developer for J2EE Platform 5.0.
- SUN: Programmer for the JAVA 2 Platform 5.0.
- OMG-UML: UML Fundamental Certified Professional.
- Possesses as strong background in cloud platforms.
- Possesses a background in transportation systems.
- A combination of experience with topics such as: Cloud, Big Data technologies, Web technologies, Data Science and Machine Learning
- Prior experience with Denver’s connected vehicle (CV) program preferred
- Developed solutions for Smart cities - Connected Vehicle Ecosystem, Connected Traffic Management Center, Transportation use case such as Travel Time Reliability, stop bar violations, Environmental use cases such as air quality and optimizing productivity across teams.
- Designed and developed solutions for public safety leveraging First responders dedicated spectrum (FirstNet)
- Designed and developed solution to correlate various silo data sources to provide an actionable intelligence for the First Responder and PSAP community.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering2000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.