This position is in support of the United States Attorney's Office in Los Angeles, CA, at 300 North Los Angeles Street and/or 312 North Spring Street. The estimated length of this assignment is Twelve (12) months with potential for extension. With proper approvals, overtime and travel may be required. One may be placed to support divisions/sections where needed depending upon the needs of the office upon time of hire.
Typical assignments include the following but not limited to:
- Works under the direction of a Supervisory Paralegal or Project Supervisor. Following established guidelines:
- Gathers, prepares. summarizes relevant materials for use by attorneys in preparation of opinions, briefs and other legal documents;
- Summarizes depositions and other transcripts;
- Maintains case files;
- Performs simple legal research;
- Indexes, tracks and controls exhibits and other materials at depositions and trial.
- Assist attorney in courtroom;
- Prepares exhibit cross references.
- Screens documents for relevance and privilege according to established guidelines and criteria.
- Performs initial compilation of documents for FOIA or production requests, subject to review by superiors and trial staff.
- Performs other miscellaneous tasks.
- Proven excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Paralegal Certificate. An equivalent level of legal training may be substituted with the approved of the COTR
- At least ONE (1) year of litigation paralegal experience.
- Must have basic legal knowledge, including knowledge of standard legal citation system sufficient to perform basic legal research.
- Thorough knowledge of legal research tools such as LEXIS and WestLaw.
- Knowledge of legal regulations, precedents, and practices sufficient to identify factual and legal issues related to case material for the attorney's use
- Should have hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, database, spreadsheet, imaging, and telecommunications.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software programs (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, MS Access or other data bases), Word Perfect and Adobe Acrobat Professional or similar applications.
- Ability to consistently deliver highest quality of work under extreme pressure will be very important.
- Demonstrated ability to review a wide variety of documents, both legal and non-legal documents, including Motions and briefs, and a variety of legal correspondence.
- Attention to detail.
- Some walking, standing, bending and carrying of small office items
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Experience working in a Government and/or Litigation Support environment in conjunction with basic qualifications, preferred.
- Automated litigation support experience (i.e. Concordance, Summation, iConnect, CaseMap, TimeMap. Sanction, etc...), valued.
- Trial experience helpful.
- Experience with civil and/or criminal cases.
- Experience with organization and management of a large volume of documents.
- Current or active clearance.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:SCA Paralegal
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.