Job Requisition:NATO Special Operations SME and Instructor
Leidos has an immediate opening for a full-time NATO Special Operations Forces (SOF) Operations Subject Matter Expert (SME) and instructor. The successful candidate will work closely with the customer as well as other team members for courses and exercises to analyze, develop, and implement solutions related to NATO SOF Operations at the tactical, operational, and strategic levels. The successful candidate will be expected to analyze the needs of NATO’s special operations community and then develop and present high-quality solutions for intermediate and senior level personnel. The selected candidate will lead highly interactive training and education seminars, courses, support mobile training, provide exercise support, develop doctrine, and other capability development requirements. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to perform research to support curriculum development and build targeted lessons, practical exercises, and discussions for allied and partner nation students who are not native-English speakers. Members of the team are expected to support NATO exercises and readiness events in order to incorporate lessons identified into curriculum updates. This is a position on a unique, diverse, international, and distributed team that offers challenging work that requires someone who is technologically savvy and can work effectively alone or with the team. Position is remote (tele-work from home 75%; 25% overseas travel). The successful candidate must demonstrate they are diligent ‘self-starters’ who can excel in a diverse working environment with little supervision or guidance in order to meet SOF Operations support requirements and deadlines.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on operations support to special operations.
- Develop and deliver (instruct) training and educational curriculum based on adult learning and English as a Second Language (ESL) standards, principles, and procedures.
- Serve as a primary facilitator and/or mentor to students during courses, NATO and national-level exercises, evaluations, or readiness events.
- Prepare lesson plans, teaching plans, lectures, presentations, briefings, and lead discussions for a vast target audience at various levels and in multiple environments (e.g. classroom, syndicate, laboratory, exercises, evaluations, events, etc.).
- Develop and maintain web-based course manuals, exercise/training support packages, software tools, handouts, study aids, and assessments as required.
- Collaborate virtually and in person with team members to analyze and design resident curriculum to meet NATO Special Operations School standards.
- Ensure course materials are maintained, updated, and improved to remain current and relevant and participate in educational quality improvement activities.
- Coordinate and collaborate with members of the NATO Special Operations Headquarters on training, education, doctrine, exercises and evaluations related to operations support for special operations and the integration of SOF capabilities.
- Participate in exercises, evaluations or other events as required and incorporate observations and lessons identified into curriculum, doctrine, or training as required.
- Conduct research, collaborate, and update SOF doctrine, publications, and manuals related to operational support to special operations and associated techniques.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE
- Citizen of a NATO member nation and have at least 7-10 years of experience as a SOF Operator at the tactical and operational levels.
- Service in at least one mid-level assignment/position in a special operations organization with significant direct experience providing SOF Military Assistance (Foreign Internal Defense), Special Reconnaissance, and Direct Action activities (as a member of a deployed SOF task force).
- Served in an assignment that included six months-duty as a Joint Operations Centre (JOC) or Air Operations Centre (AOC) Director (J33), Battle Captain, or J3 of a Special Operations Component Command (SOCC) (JSOTF).
- Active Secret Clearance; eligible for Top Secret desired.
- Experience as a successful classroom instructor/educator.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree desired (years of SOF battalion command/staff or higher may serve in lieu of education).
- NATO/NATO SOF experience (or experience with multi-national SOF operations).
- International and/or NATO SOF training and education experience.
- Able to write, speak, and teach in English for an English as a Second Language (ESL) audience, and demonstrate outstanding speaking, writing, organizational and interpersonal skills. (Scholarly writing sample submitted with resume)
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience working as a senior member of a team.
- Highly capable of operating independently and effectively in a distributed workforce.
- Fully competent with Microsoft Office® suite of automation tools including: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, OneNote, Outlook and SharePoint.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- Command or senior leadership experience at the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG/SOATG/SOMTG) level or higher.
- Graduate of advanced military education e.g. SAMS, SAWS etc. desired.
- Experience with developing training solutions, scenarios, or simulations to aid training, education, mission preparation, or to enhance technical development.
- Formal education or experience with adult education, education technology, instructional system design, and/or e-Education. Three years as an instructor within military education system or Master’s Degree desired.
- Experience at the NATO joint force command, joint task force, joint special operations task force, and/or special operations component command.
- Collaborate and participate in e-Education curriculum development to meet distance-learning requirements. Serve as a solutions architect for e-Education, digital knowledge bases, and digital tools to aid product delivery, training support, collaboration, and communications.
- Experience operating NATO functional area systems (FAS) and other applications (e.g. TOPFAS, JChat, NCOP, JOCWatch).
The job does not require moving; telecommuting is authorized. Travel is approximately 25%, mainly to NATO and partner nation European locations.
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.