Job Requisition:Chemist - Workforce Development
We are currently seeking a Chemist in Pittsburgh, PA to work onsite at the US-DOE operated National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). Support is requested by an MS or BS level researcher for synthesizing and testing various chemical sensing materials to be used in field applications such as monitoring of CO2 in geological formations and corrosion monitoring. The Embedded Sensors team seeks a candidate with a background in electrochemistry, chemistry, and/or chemical engineering. Experience of thin films, organic / inorganic hybrid materials, nanotechnology, nanoparticles, and nanoporous materials is also highly desired. The researcher will work with principal investigator scientists to develop various sensing layer formulations and will test them under simulated conditions.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Deposition techniques such as wet chemistry deposition, and electrolytic and electroless plating.
- Development and application for thin films of metal oxides, polymers and organic / inorganic hybrid materials including nanoporous metal-organic framework materials.
- Electrochemistry and solid-electrolyte interaction. Experience with electrochemical techniques such as potentiodynamic polarization, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, and related data analysis.
- Materials characterization techniques including SEM, XRD, TGA, FTIR, XPS, etc.
- Experience with optical, electronic, and mass-based measurement techniques including optical spectroscopy (UV, vis, near-IR, spectroscopic ellipsometry), 2- and 4-point resistivity and hall effect measurements, and QCM.
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, or related areas is required; and 2 years prior relevant experience.
- Master’s Degree and less than 2 years prior relevant experience.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness and interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team environment to drive towards overall project and team objectives is also highly desired
TERM OF COMMITMENT: These research positions are intended to be term positions, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 2 years. Candidates will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, candidates who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional terms. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist1000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.