Job Requisition:Linux System Administrator, Senior
Leidos has a current opening in Austin Information Technology Center (AITC) for a Linux System Administrator, Senior supporting RedHat Linux within the Veteran's Administration (VA) Office of Information Technology (OIT). This is an advanced opportunity to use your Linux Operating System knowledge and skills to support the VA Infrastructure Operations (IO) and IOSS initiatives.
The candidate shall provide operating system in a 24 x 7 x 365 environment (except for Federal holidays where support will be provided on a call back basis) for Red Hat Linux 6 and 7. The candidate shall provide system administration activities and immediate troubleshooting efforts when contacted by the Service Desk to ensure outages or incidents are resolved as quickly as possible Work collaboratively with AITC customers and partners, end users, programmers and analysts, Database Administrators (DBAs), and application and network administrators.
• Contractor will follow procedures to ensure tasks/deliverables are turned around in a timely manner.
• Perform duties working with a small, geographically dispersed team. Communicate via phone, email, and instant message to coordinate tasks, ask for or offer advice etc.
• Monitor overlapping ticketing and scheduling systems to resolve incidents, complete change orders etc.
• Perform the following tasks on RedHat 6 and 7 servers:
• Provision operating systems on new standalone or virtual servers using automated tools (kickstart)
• Install firmware upgrades as needed to resolve issues or on an annual basis, whichever occurs first.
• Automation/configuration management using Puppet/ Ansible / Red Hat Satellite Server / OpenShift / CA PAM
• Monitor and maintain system accounting files and logs and system error logs.
• Implement monthly security hardening requirements and configurations to remediate security vulnerabilities listed in security audit and scan vulnerability reports; remediation must be accomplished within the timeframe defined in the report. Timeframes to remediate are based on the severity level of the finding, high 60 days, medium 90 days, and low 120 days.
• Create and maintain local Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) related to daily Linux system administration related functions.
Troubleshoot incidents and problems
• Perform troubleshooting / fault isolation teams to determine problem or issue.
• Contact vendor maintenance/support’s lines and open a case after 30 minutes of researching problems without success in resolving the issue.
• Correct OS related incidents and problems during coordinated maintenance windows or immediately in the case where system is down.
• Perform ITOPS support activities such as Disaster Recovery, data replication, infrastructure support activities such as documentation, develop architectural diagrams, and troubleshoot performance issues.
• Track and document all system changes, problems, issues, and work tasks within ServiceNow through change orders, service requests, incident and/or problem tickets.
• Communicate to project managers, team members, other technical administrators and/or end users the status and findings with tickets, incidents, and problems.
• Bachelor’s in computer science, electronics engineering or other engineering or technical discipline is required with five (5) years Linux experience with strong Linux provisioning of servers in large data center environment. Eight (8) years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
• Automation Tools: Ansible & Puppet
• Red Hat Linux 6&7
• GitHub Version Control
• AWS or Azure
Tools Knowledge: BigFix Remote Control, CA Service Desk Manager ticketing system, ServiceNOW ticketing system, Microsoft Office 365 Suite, Skype for Business
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 31,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.17 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2017. (NYSE: LDOS) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Administration2000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.