Job Requisition:Sr Systems Engineer
The Government Health and Safety Solutions Operation is seeking a Sr Systems Engineer in Baltimore, MD.
The Sr Systems Engineer will participate in architecture of Linux and Hadoop systems features diagnostics and troubleshooting of the OS and application environment. We are looking for someone who has strengths in scripting, system hardening, patching, upgrading, and configuration management. The individual will work closely with Leidos customers and development teams to create, manage, upgrade, and secure Hadoop clusters. Key success metrics for this individual include: 1) proven experience with automation; 2) advanced Linux / Windows system capabilities; 3) ability to thrive within a dynamic technology environment.
Main responsibilities may include:
- Serve as primary liaison for the cluster architecture aspects of the project.
- Configure HDFS, YARN, MapReduce, Hive, Pig, Spark, Sqoop, Oozie etc
- Create/administer/manage user accounts.
- Cluster sizing
- Cluster configuration
- Smoke testing
- Service allocation
- Security setup – Knox, Ranger and Kerberos
- Performance tuning and ongoing monitoring.
- Design, install, and configure Hadoop and Spark Cluster environments, including installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux Operating System.
- Contribute to planning and implementation of hardware and software upgrades.
- Maintain, support, and upgrade Linux O/S and Hadoop Clusters. Address all issues, apply upgrades and security patches, and document the process.
- Manage, monitor, and troubleshoot Hadoop cluster services/components.
- Monitor jobs, queues, and HDFS capacity.
- Work with team members to maintain server hardware at local and remote facilities.
- Balance, commission & decommission cluster nodes.
- Apply "rolling" cluster node upgrades in a Production-level environment.
- Apply security (Kerberos / Open LDAP) linking with Active Directory and/or LDAP.
- Develop solutions to address IT issues and helps evaluate cost effectiveness.
- Assemble newly bought hardware into racks with switches, assign IP addresses properly, firewalling, enable/disable ports, VPN etc.
- Work with virtualization team to provision / manage HDP cluster components.
- Prepare and maintain technical documentation.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 8 years of professional experience.
- IT experience as a Linux System Administrator applicable experience with Linux/UNIX systems in a production environment.
- Minimum 3 years proficiency with building and maintaining Cloudera / Hadoop clusters.
- Experience creating scripts (bash) for automated installations, kickstart and monitoring.
- Experience with configuration management solutions such as Puppet and Ansible
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot Apache Tomcat
- Experience with disk and file encryption
- Configure and maintain selinux, iptables, and syslog
- Creation/management of VMs
- Experience with the setup of Linux systems for Active Directory authentication
- Understanding of basic network concepts, familiarity with TCP/IP and VLAN functionality
- Ability to automate solutions to repetitive problems/tasks
- Solid understanding of core services (e.g. LDAP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, NAS)
- Very strong troubleshooting skills towards root cause analysis and practical issue resolution
- Strong understanding of universal network services (HTTP, email, Samba, MySQL)
- Knowledge of one or more scripting languages (SED, AWK , PHP, Bourne shell, Ruby, Python)
- Demonstrative written and verbal communication skills to audiences with a wide variety of technical knowledge
- Works very well in a team environment
- Certified Hadoop Admin (Cloudera/Hortonworks).
- Networking (TCP/IP, Routers, IP addressing, use of network tools).
- Analyzing data with Hive, Pig and/or HBase.
- Data Ingestion, streaming, or Importing/exporting RDBMS data using Sqoop.
- DBA experience.
- RDBMS SQL Development.
- Manage cluster hardening activities through the implementation and maintenance of security and governance components across various cluster.
- Hadoop experience with the setup, configuration, or management of a multi-node (50 to 100) Hadoop cluster, specifically working with Cloudera’s Hadoop distribution
- Experience with Hadoop technologies like Pig, Hive and Hbase
- Experience with Kerberos and Securing Hadoop Clusters
- Certified Linux System Administrator (e.g. Red Hat Linux)
- Experience with monitoring concepts and tools in a multi-platform data center environment
- Experience with systems monitoring tools (Nagios), in helping tune, configure, and administer cluster components parameters like CPU, I/O load, memory usage and network topology/bandwidth for identified workloads.
- Experience with performance tuning of applications in a distributed cluster environment
- Ability to investigate/research issues, determine impact, and provide solutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are critical. Candidate must be able to effectively interact with all levels of customer staff, and be able to flourish in a government contract setting.
- Ability to clearly present information, verbally and in writing, to audiences of diverse technical backgrounds.
Certified Linux System Administrator (e.g. Red Hat Linux)
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering1000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.