Job Requisition:Research Analyst
The Political Instability Task Force (PITF) currently has an opening for a Research Analyst to work in our Chantilly, VA office. This is an exciting opportunity to work in a flexible environment with a small team engaged in evaluating, designing, executing, and presenting rigorous analysis to help forecast civil wars, mass atrocities, and other forms of regime-threatening instability. The Research Analyst will assist the Program Manager/Research Director in a variety of research tasks as well as identify new research and methodologies by reaching out to the academic community. When a new issue is presented by the client, the Research Analyst may be asked to prepare a literature review on the topic as a first step in identifying the appropriate scholars as well as the underlying issues of importance and potential methodologies.
PITF also holds several conferences and technical exchanges each year where academics present their work. The Research Analyst will help with the logistics of these conferences and act as note taker where appropriate.
The Research Analyst is expected to spend 5-10 hours each week at the government site organizing data and research.
- Identify, approach, and engage subject matter experts in a variety of social science disciplines.
- Assist Program Manager/Research Director in performing substantive research tasks.
- Identify relevant emerging research and methodologies.
- Provide logistical support for conferences and technical exchanges.
- Prepare academic literature reviews.
- Prepare summaries of instability events.
- Provide on-site support (20%) to the government team as required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Requires a BA degree and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a social science field with 2+ years experience in applied social science research. Coursework or experience in quantitative analysis and conducting literature reviews.
- Excellent analytic, writing, and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and adjust to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new techniques.
- Experience with MS Office Suite.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain TS/SCI with poly.
- Masters Degree in Political Science.
- Experience working with databases in the social sciences.
- Experience interacting with clients in the IC.
- Experience with Tableau.
- Current TS/SCI with poly.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.