Leidos Energy & Systems Solutions is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Currently, we have an opportunity for a Senior Relay-Settings Engineer with experience in both distribution and transmission protective relay settings and the associated studies. This position is member of dynamic team of Power Delivery engineers within our Energy & Systems Solutions operation.
- Solving challenging system protection problems.
- Directing design engineers and performing quality reviews.
- Developing, studying, and managing transmission projects that address the growing reliability concerns of the electric grid.
- Collaborating with other utility project managers, work management, and functional managers to assure optimal utilization of resources.
- Serving as the key interface for external customer work involving P&C and protection projects including presentation of billable costs to the customer and negotiating schedules.
- Performing a backup role for Manager, Project Management.
- Working directly with clients as well as working with other staff in remote office locations.
- Leading a team responsible for preparation of relay settings from 4.16kV through 500kV including relay set points, logic diagrams, configuration files and documentation. Assignments will cover the full range of project planning through design and construction support.
- Leading and coaching team members to improve performance and meet or exceed expectations.
- Mentoring less experienced colleagues.
- Analyzing and interpreting the results of complex protection studies and perform complex engineering tests, and analyzing non-specific and ambiguous results.
- Verifying and validating studies, and designs against accepted engineering principles and practices.
- Minimum of 8-12 year’s relevant experience in high voltage electrical utility system protection and control engineering and experience
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) with an advanced degree a plus
- Proficient in using Aspen OneLiner and Electrocon CAPE for coordination studies and fault study analysis
- Experience with development of relay settings for microprocessor relays including: SEL, Alstom, GE, ABB and others for both transmission line relays (Line Differential, Step Distance and Pilot Schemes) and substation relays (Capacitors, Transformers and buses).
- Strong engineering and interpersonal skills and high attention to detail with a passion for quality.
- Experience implementing control and protection schemes including interpreting schematics and wiring diagrams and preparing relay logic to complete the schemes
- PE license preferred
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure situations
- Team player who can work effectively in team environment;
- Self-starter who will work independently with minimal direction
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required when interfacing with clients and staff
- High level of computer competency
- The following are additional skills that are considered a plus:
- Experience preparing technical reports
- Familiarity with PTC MathCAD software
Previous Quality Assurance/Quality Control experience
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.