Job Requisition:Associate Distribution Engineer
Associate Distribution Engineer Indianapolis IN
Do you want to grow your career and be part of a team solving critical challenges that affect the world?
Leidos Civil is leading the way in solving internationally pressing issues, including:
• Energy engineering – Restoring power during hurricane efforts; helping communities achieve significant energy savings
• Environmental management – Delivering innovative environmental solutions and wildlife conservation plans
• IT infrastructure modernization – Helping 2+ million citizens recover from identity theft; maintaining global biometrics systems
• Transportation security solutions – Securing U.S. borders with 1200+ radiation and explosive monitors; designing vehicle solutions that save lives, reduce congestion, and boost fuel efficiency
If you desire to be an integral part of a dynamic team of science and technology leaders, then Leidos Civil is the place for you!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer.
When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”
Leidos...Practical Answers for a Complicated World
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Currently, we have an opportunity for Associate Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric & gas distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include joint use make ready, and street light projects. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements or calculating a customer Contribution in Aid of Construction (CIAC). Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
The associate level candidate need not be proficient in applicate customer engineering, construction standards, and software systems. Training will be provided by Leidos.
Background must haves
• Bachelors of Science in Electrical, Mechanical, or Civil Engineering required and 0-2 years of prior relevant experience or Masters degree: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
• Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
• Must be able to lift 20 pounds
• Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
• Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
o (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
Nice to haves
• Experience using CAD tools
• Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
• Familiarity with PoleForeman, Bentley OpenUtilities Designer, GE Smallworld, Maximo
• Fundamentals of Engineer certification
• Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
• Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
• Positive attitude
• Ability to work effectively in teams.
• Professional dress and demeanor
10%-30% Working with client in the office or via a field visit
60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Distribution Design Engineering1000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.