Job Requisition:Senior Software Engineer
Leidos is seeking a Software Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Time Based Flow Management (TBFM) program.
Time Based Flow Management (TBFM) from Leidos is an air traffic management solution that uses a complex series of algorithms to process flight data along with aircraft separation parameters to determine the most efficient use of airspace to prevent over-saturation of airport runways and/or terminals. TBFM facilitates the management of flights during the en route phase so that delays can be absorbed at higher altitudes far enough away from the destination to reduce fuel consumption and emissions associated with low altitude holds and vectoring. TBFM does this without penalizing flights with the consequences typically associated with extended arrival management such as double delay penalties or skipping in sequence. By performing small flight adjustments farther out, arrival sequencing is better optimized and no-notice holding in the terminal airspace can be eliminated. TBFM is a proven technology that is operational in all 20 FAA Air Traffic Control Centers (Area Control Centers), Air Traffic Control System Command Center, and at more than 23 U.S. airports.
The Software Development Engineer will work within the Air Traffic Management software engineering organization and will be supporting the FAA TBFM program.
Working both as a member of a team and independently the successful candidate will be:
- Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities between the gate and the tower.
- Develop enhancements for TBFM software (consisting primarily of C, C++, and Java) on a UNIX/Linux platform within a waterfall development process.
- Performing software development as needed for the TBFM system
- Providing support needed for system engineering and test teams
- Articulating user needs and requirements from high level user stories
- Developing the design for the user interface framework including client and server side components; analyzing and designing databases within an application
- Translate requirements into detailed software designs.
- Develop significant expertise in assigned areas and become a go-to resource in those areas for others on the program.
- Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Experience in object-oriented design and development with the C++ and/or Java programming language on a large-scale (>20 K-SLOC) development.
- Experience with Git or similar version control tool.
- Software development in a Linux/Unix environment
- Experience with following a documented software process
- A strong working knowledge of the software engineering life cycle
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and written skills
- Self-Starter and ability to multitask
- Ability to work effectively both individually and within a team
- Requires BS degree and 4+ years of experience
- Working experience in FAA ATC programs
- Knowledge of Java, C, C++, scripting languages, and Linux
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Familiarization with the Atlassian Tool Suite
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Development1000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.