The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Research Associate I to support biomedical research at the Naval Medical Research Unit, San Antonio (NAMRU-SA) in San Antonio, TX. NAMRU-SA conducts gap driven combat casualty care, craniofacial, and directed energy research to improve survival, operational readiness, and safety of Department of Defense personnel engaged in routine and expeditionary operations.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Optimize and execute in vitro cell culturing with various primary and immortal cells lines using different laboratory assays.
- Assist with surgical procedures for animal models of trauma.
- Perform laboratory assays and collect and analyze data from experiments involving use of in vivo models.
- Assist in preparation of purchase orders, proposals, IACUC protocols, SOPs, technical reports, contracts, data summaries, manuscripts, and presentations.
- Provide data summaries at project meetings.
- Perform general laboratory support tasks such as preparing SOPs, maintaining clear and accurate laboratory records and inventories, routine biosafety procedures to maintain compliance with established laboratory safety rules, and maintaining supply inventory and additional duties as assigned.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Candidates must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited US university, or international university of equivalent standard, in biology, physiology, molecular biology or a related field and at least 1 year experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience doing cell culture with various cell lines and assays
- Experienced and capable of aseptic technique as it applies to cell culture
- Ability to make and record detailed observations and troubleshoot technical procedures
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations for drug dosing
- Experience in using MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel spreadsheets, and graphing software such as GraphPad Prism or SigmaPlot for data analysis, processing and basic statistics
- Flexibility to work as a team member or independently as needed
- Must be able to work a flexible work schedule, may include occasional evening or weekend shifts
- Employee must be able to lift/move up to 20 pounds
- Masters Degree in related field
- Knowledge of animal anatomy and physiology (mice, rats, pigs)
- Experience doing small animal surgeries including basic surgical techniques such as anesthesia induction, cannulation, intubation, injections, blood draws, suturing, euthanasia and tissue harvesting
- Experienced and knowledgeable in aseptic technique and sterile procedures associated with animal surgeries
- Comfortable working with and handling animals
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Laboratory Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.