Job Requisition:Research Technician II-Maxillofacial Injury & Disease
The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Research Technician II to support biomedical research at the Naval Medical Research Unit, San Antonio (NAMRU-SA) in San Antonio, TX. NAMRU-SA conducts gap driven combat casualty care, craniofacial, and directed energy research to improve survival, operational readiness, and safety of Department of Defense personnel engaged in routine and expeditionary operations.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Optimize and execute laboratory assays for development of novel treatments and diagnostics in the field of maxillofacial injury and disease.
- Collect and analyze data from experiments involving use of in vitro and in vivo models.
- Assist in preparation of protocols, technical reports, data summaries, manuscripts, and presentations.
- Modifies and plans research experiments, procedures, and tests.
- Develop and provide data summaries at project meetings.
- Sets up and operates, laboratory equipment and apparatus in accordance with protocols for research under contract
- Conducts daily and weekly inspections or areas of contractor responsibility to ensure compliance with standards.
- Perform general laboratory support tasks such as preparing SOPs, maintaining clear and accurate laboratory records and inventories, routine biosafety procedures to maintain compliance with established laboratory safety rules, and maintaining supply inventory.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Candidates must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited US university, or international university of equivalent standard, in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, microbiology, biomedical engineering or a related field and have at least 1 year of related professional experience.
- Ability to make and record detailed observations and troubleshoot technical procedures
- Perform scientific literature searches as necessary to optimize laboratory procedures or help draft documents
- Must possess excellent attention to detail and be able to review data to provide accurate, complete, and clear data summaries in a timely manner to the PI and other research team members
- Ability to perform basic statistics and mathematical calculations
- Experience using MSWord, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel spreadsheets, and graphing software such as GraphPad Prism or SigmaPlot
- Experience with in vivo models including small and large animal handling, tissue collection, and wound infection models is highly preferred
- Experience with RNA isolation and real-time qPCR is highly preferred
- Experience with routine microbiology procedures for growing, quantifying, and imaging bacterial cultures, including biofilms, is a plus
- Experience with processing tissues for histopathology and use of confocal microscopy is a plus
- Must have good teamwork skills, be open to new challenges, and possess the ability to communicate effectively with senior technical staff to follow directions and provide feedback
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Laboratory Scientist2000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.