Job Requisition:Transportation R&D Engineer
Leidos is seeking a Transportation Research and Development Engineer (R&D Engineer) to join our team! The Engineer will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting connected vehicle research at the FHWA Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA. The successful candidate will be part of a larger research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for the FHWA via developing, testing, and demonstrating new capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication.
The R&D Engineer will develop technology for connected and automated vehicles and advanced transportation research testbeds. Work assignments may include performing engineering duties at the systems level on commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) hardware and software required for traffic signals control, traffic management systems, and vehicle guidance systems. The selected candidate will have a strong background in automotive and communications/networking technologies as well as hands-on experience troubleshooting electromechanical systems as demonstrated by relevant work history or technical education. a working knowledge of vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications and networking, including related hardware and software configurations as well as applicable IEEE and SAE standards. The work environment is very collegial and benefits from a collaborative effort across an growing interdisciplinary team. In addition to the laboratory and office environment, some field work, testing and validation of systems is often required. The candidate will receive advance vehicle control training to safely operate the vehicles.
Other duties include:
• Design, specify, and integrate hardware to meet research needs.
• Conduct or supervise the manufacturing, installation, and troubleshooting of electrical equipment and components.
• Interfacing with researchers and other users of the Saxton Laboratory and associated testbeds.
• Conduct various phases of research projects across the breadth of transportation science.
• Support the operations and maintenance of the lab facility, equipment, and associated testbeds.
• Interface with Government technical and business personnel.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelors in Automotive Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other science discipline with 3+ years related experience, specifically connected vehicle research and development.
• Familiarity with vehicle power and communication systems.
• Ability to test and troubleshoot complex power and communication systems.
• Project Management skills to ensure the products and services are delivered on-time and within budget.
• Must communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing (authorship and publication of technical papers and presentations is a plus).
• Must be a good team player and be able to give and take constructive feedback.
• Must be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand.
• Must be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement.
• Knowledge and experience in traffic signal controller operations, configuration, communications, and Transportation Management Center operations preferred.
• Knowledge and experience with software development tools and methods, including one or more commonly used programming languages, such as C++, JAVA, or MATLAB preferred.
• Geospatial positioning (e.g., GPS) and position correction (e.g., RTCM) preferred
• Ethernet Network engineering preferred.
• Wireless communications, particularly DSRC, cellular, or Wi-Fi preferred.
• Connected vehicle or transportation communication standards (e.g., SAE J2735, NTCIP 1202, etc.) preferred.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering2000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.