Leidos is seeking an Aerospace Test Engineer in Houston, Texas to support our NASA customer with the planning, designing and testing of flight and non-flight hardware during and throughout the project design life cycle. This position requires broad and comprehensive expertise in NASA industry best practices, theories, processes and technologies within the test engineering discipline. The job duties will include identification and documentation of test requirements for complex (Exploration Extravehicular Mobility Unit (XEMU) as well as non-complex hardware and software; identification of test facilities and coordination with those facilities and other pertinent entities. The duties will include testing in multiple project phases for development, interface, qualification, acceptance, environmental and functional testing as the schedule dictates. This includes working with project managers, systems engineering, designers and broad project team to evaluate test requirements and criteria, develop overall test and integration strategy, conduct test planning, develop test set-ups, coordinate with test facilities, develop test procedures, present at test review boards, conduct tests and develop test reports. A wide degree of autonomy, creativity and latitude is expected. This position requires the candidate to be well versed in the quality process for the development of controlled hardware, including the writing of Task Performance Sheets and disposition of Discrepancy Reports. This position will require the candidate to be capable of reviewing and interpreting engineering drawings. This position will require the candidate to oversee and participate in hands on development activities. This position will require the candidate to demonstrate effective communication skills in working with the project, other project engineers, technical support staff and quality engineering personnel.
- Use project requirement documents and verification documents to develop test strategies/planning and produce test plans, test set-ups and procedures
- Complete functional development, certification, acceptance, and interface testing of the hardware during the different stages of the project life cycles
- Correlate test results and complete data analysis as required in a report form
- Coordinate with scheduling test facilities as required
- Prepare Test Readiness Review (TRR) packages and present at TRR for the projects
- Troubleshoot test problems by developing fault trees and work thru the fault trees until resolution is obtained
- Interface with purchasing, quality, logistics, other HHPC stakeholders, and NASA stakeholders
- Read, understand, and interpret engineering drawings
- Develop controlled paperwork
- Disposition non-compliant hardware
- Recommend alterations and enhancements to improve quality of products and/or procedures.
- Responsible and accountable for the solution of complex total system problems.
- Requires significant interaction with other NASA Projects and NASA Centers to develop and lead integrated science and engineering protocols.
- Influences strategic approach across projects and proactively identifies and solves complex problems that impact strategic approach.
- Directs and coordinates test activities across multiple projects for technical personnel performing complex engineering activities
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering (or equivalent experience) with a minimum of 15 years directly related experience.
- Prior work at a NASA Center or equivalent
- Prior test experience in thermal, thermal vacuum chamber, vibe testing, EMI testing, hardware/software integrated testing
- Experience with working with Safety and Quality Engineering
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing (MS Office tools)
- Able to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Experience in testing protocols
- Ability to read and develop engineering drawings
- Experience in technical writing
This position requires successful completion of a Public Trust clearance to access government facilities and/or systems. If you are not a United States Citizen or Green Card holder, this check could take 12-18 months to complete.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Aerospace Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.