Leidos Civil Transportation Solutions is seeking a Systems Engineering Intern to support the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Advanced Technologies & Oceanic Procedures (ATOP) program at our Gaithersburg Maryland campus.
This is an exciting opportunity to learn about, support and develop NextGen enhancements for FAA’s oceanic air traffic control system that is currently deployed at 3 centers, Oakland California, Anchorage Alaska and Long Island New York. ATOP allows air traffic controllers manage civilian, business, commercial and military aircraft over 24 million square miles of oceanic and adjacent airspace, allowing for reduced separation and emissions while maximizing the use of jet stream, saving transient aircraft significant time and costs.
As an engineering intern, you will provide input to and participate in wide-range engineering activities from the initial concept of operations (CONOPS) development to solution design, development, implementation and verification. This opportunity will allow you to delve into and engage across various system engineering domains with a focus on analytics and problem trouble-shooting.
You must have a good academic understanding or experience in systems or software engineering concepts and principles across full SW Development Life Cycle. You will be expected to assist in authoring and/or contributing to the development of technical SE work products, such as engineering white papers, requirements and design documents.You will also support system functionality change requests (CRs), program trouble reports (PTRs), HW, SW, CAS/COTS integration and test/requirement verification and validation activities.
The selected intern will work with senior engineers authoring system specifications and requirements to help implement new features and capabilities to add or enhance existing functionality.
- Current enrollment in a bachelor’s degree program with a major in computer science, computer engineering or related discipline.
- Experience working with UNIX or LINUX operating system.
- Development experience with C/C++/Java programming languages
- Familiarity working with MS Office Suite applications
- Your GPA needs to be included on your application and resume.
US Citizenship Requirements
- Candidate must be able to obtain an SF-85P Public Trust clearance from the FAA customer
- Familiarity with aviation or air traffic control domain
- Understanding of system engineering concepts
- Some experience working with requirements analysis to include authoring, reviewing, inspecting and delivering engineering documents
- Some experience working with legacy system integration of complex CAS/COTS products, including modeling, scenario generation and simulation techniques
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Intern Technical
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.