At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself. We welcome your perspective and ideas, in order to foster collaboration and deliver world-class solutions. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.
As part of our company mission, we're dedicated to making the world a safer place. That starts with helping our customers in the Defense industry achieve their critical missions. From our airborne work with sensors alerting warfighters to what's over the next hill, to our autonomous maritime platforms protecting sea lanes and shores -- our dedicated Defense Group scientists and engineers are solving critical challenges across the globe. Defense capabilities including enterprise and mission IT, command and control, geospatial and data analytics, cybersecurity, operations support, logistics, and training serve a diverse set of customers including the U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, the Defense Information Systems Agency, and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
The ISR MEP/PED Systems Division at Leidos currently has a dynamic job opportunity for an Airworthiness Engineer located at our Beavercreek Ohio, Pentagon Blvd. office. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience helping the Air Force Research Labs (AFRL) Sensors Directorate, Sensors Analysis, Integration and Test (SAIT) program develop cutting edge technologies in support of emerging operational needs. In this role, you will support the United States Air Force programs at Wright Patterson Air Force - Dayton, Ohio. This position supports the USAF ISR Sensor programs and AgilePod® integration on various air vehicle platforms. The ability to understand and apply FAA, US Air Force, and other airworthiness requirements is essential to your success. Additionally, you’ll be required to be fully aware of USAF policy, instructions, including associated airworthiness bulletins used to conduct PAO and CAO aircraft assessments.
- Responsible for coordinating and supporting ground and flight operations of contracted aircraft, pilots and support staff during flight test
• Perform technical airworthiness planning and verification support including development and negotiation of airworthiness plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities for complex total systems to support experimental and restricted classifications of flight testing for USAF Air Force Research Laboratory programs.
• Conduct Safety of flight and airworthiness analysis of both modified commercial and military aircraft
• Apply and meet FAA standards to review AFRL/Contractor collaborated designs
• Assist with planning and oversight of development and production activities for urgent operational requirement deliverables
• Support development, review and evaluation of the plans, compliance to Federal and Military regulations, requirements and documentation
• Ensures the logical and systematic realization of operational requirements airworthiness objectives are turned into system solutions to meet program objectives (e.g. Flight releases, Type Certification, continued airworthiness, range testing operation and/or airspace integration)
• Review and analyze design solutions, support definition of test requirements
• Support flight test events including evaluating and recommending corrective actions for operational deployment lessons learned, deficiencies, and opportunities
• Reviews and coordinates with other airworthiness engineers, and with other engineering disciplines, airworthiness artifacts from all levels of total system to include: design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, and maintenance.
• Assist with system platforms security certification and accreditation activities.
• Prepare documents and review and evaluate engineering change proposals for adequacy in meeting Government performance, cost, and schedule requirements
• Perform technical studies directly related to airworthiness, to include, but not limited to, performance, effectiveness, cost reasonableness, reliability, maintainability, and supportability and assist with risk assessments and developing mitigation plans
• Assist with the acquisition program execution functions to include, but not limited to, design, development, testing, production, fielding, sustainment and modification of sensor and platform systems
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below.
• Current DoD Secret clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret Clearance
• A Bachelor’s degree with 4+ years of prior relevant experience, or Masters with 2+years of prior relevant experience.
-4+ years of experience working on DoD programs/projects
• Experience with USAF Airworthiness Policy Directives, Instructions, and Airworthiness Bulletins (AWB) and familiarity of MIL-HDBK-516C, AWB 340, SEEK EAGLE processes, AFI 99-103, AFRLI 61-103, and AFTCI 62-602
• Experience with FAA - airworthiness requirements and Designated Engineering Representative coordination
• Experience with civil and military aircraft development or modifications
• Familiarity with electro optical systems
• Design and Systems Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: Flight Technology, Crew Systems, Mission Payload Integration, and Flight Test
- Must have current USAF airworthiness process and procedures knowledge, skills, and abilities to immediately integrate into the position with minimum transition time.
- 20% Travel Required
Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) certification
Bachelor's degree in a related field with 6+ years of relevant experience
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Aerospace Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.