Leidos has an opening for a Mission Lead in our Webster, Texas office. The Mission Lead will be responsible for a NASA contractor team for a Rodent Research (RR) Mission on the International Space Station. The Lead will manage the overall mission, mission schedule, mission tasks and will serve as the main POC for the REMIS Rodent mission to the ISS Program, the PI team, and all other related stakeholders required to implement the mission. The Mission lead will help mission investigators define, develop, and implement their research in space, and act as a liaison between the investigators (or their representatives) and the RR Program Interfaces to represent their scientific concerns to various groups within NASA, and will help ensure that the investigator team has flight and ground hardware kits, crew procedures, planned ground and inflight activities, trained crew, and successful science return.
- Serve as a liaison/advocate between mission principal investigators (PI) or their representatives, and the RR Project, responsible for maintaining PI awareness of schedules and implementation issues, which require their attention and participation.
- Provide project management leadership to manage all mission related tasks are completed per schedule to meet mission milestones.
- Manage the mission team within budget and on schedule.
- Manage all aspects of mission readiness including flight and ground Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee approvals, hardware readiness, crew training, operational readiness (procedures, timelines, manifests…), ground operations logistics, safety, and Certification of Flight Readiness.
- Assess impacts to external stakeholders and coordination plans for risk mitigation/strategy
- Proactive schedule and technical risk management for all aspects of support.
- Adhere to appropriate safety, quality, and environmental practice, as well as business ethics practices.
- Develop and demonstrate the interpersonal skills required to maintain productive working relationships with co-workers, management, and the customer.
- Personnel may be exposed to live animals, animal dander, sharp medical supplies, steam and hot water, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and other hazards associated with rodent research.
- B.S. degree in Biomedical Engineering (other science or engineering degrees considered with relevant experience)
- 10+ years relevant experience
- Project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Previous experience in a team environment and ability to multitask are essential.
- Experience with NASA Payloads and NASA processes
This position requires successful completion of a government background check to access government facilities and/or systems. Work cannot begin on the contract without a fully adjudicated security clearance. If you are not a United States Citizen or Green Card holder, this check could take 12-18 months to complete.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Proj and Prog Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.