Do you like Autonomous Navigation Engineering and Programming? If so read on!
The Guidance Navigation and Control Department of the Leidos Innovation Center develops and deploys cutting edge alternative positioning systems for customers who can’t rely on GPS alone, and we need your help in the Rocket City (Huntsville, AL)! In this position you’ll be working on a mix of analytical and hands-on tasks including algorithm development/optimization, interfacing to sensors (electrically and programmatically), writing software targeting multiple computing architectures, and field testing of navigation systems. Our group primarily supports research and development as well as advanced prototyping for customers including DARPA, NASA, Air Force Research Laboratory, Office of Naval Research, and the Army Aviation and Missile Research Development and Engineering Center. These customers need to get our advanced technology into the field! You’ll be engaged on multiple projects as a part of a small team of engineers (typically 3-5) working together in spiral or agile development environments to meet customer schedules aimed at near-term field demonstrations of advanced capabilities. Are you excited about making advanced technologies work in the real world? Then we want you on our team!
Fun stuff on the job you will get to do:
- Design and develop prototype systems, including designing electrical interfaces and power connections
- Write software to interface to sensors over a variety of protocols and interfaces (e.g. I2C, SPI, RS232, RS422, USB, Ethernet)
- Work with a team of engineers to get cutting-edge navigation, computer vision, and machine learning algorithms running in real-time on real hardware
- Develop and utilize simulation testbeds to support algorithm testing and assessment
- Travel with your team to demo your system to the customer on a variety of platforms, including aircraft, ground vehicles, pedestrians, and naval ships. Testing typically lasts for 1-2 weeks.
Skills you will need to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent and 3+ years of relevant experience
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance. You don’t have to have a clearance currently, but we’ll be putting you in for a one after you begin and you’ll need to be “clear-able”
- Experience programming in C/C++. You’ll do most of your software development in C/C++, but we also program in Python and Matlab
- Experience working in a Linux environment, preferably comfortable working on a headless system
- Familiarity with DC circuits. We do not do board-level designs, but understanding basic concepts of power, current, and voltage is beneficial
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- Master’s or PhD Degree in major listed above
- Experience working with various sensor types (Inertial Measurement Units, GPS, cameras, LiDAR, etc.)
- Experience with the Robot Operating System (ROS) and the OpenCV computer vision library
- Experience with autonomous system development through robotics competitions
- Experience using version control tools (GIT, Subversion, etc)
- Experience with either sensor fusion/estimation algorithms (e.g. Kalman Filters, Particle Filters, Factor Graphs) or with computer vision algorithms
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.