No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Leidos currently has an opening for a quality assurance professional to work in support of the radioactive waste acceptance program (RWAP) of the Nevada National Security Site. In this position, the incumbent will use quality assurance auditing skills and experience as a member of a team responsible for ensuring the compliant operation of a program that is key to the nuclear industry.
As a member of the RWAP Team, the incumbent provides technical knowledge, skills, and abilities to determine if waste generators have a radioactive waste management program that is compliant with the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS) Waste Acceptance Criteria (WAC). Specifically, this senior individual serves as an auditing subject matter expert.
Job responsibilities include:
• Audit waste generator programs to determine if the program is compliant with the NNSS WAC and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) requirements.
• Conduct surveillances to evaluate the generator's program elements, new waste streams, mixed waste verifications, and implementation of corrective actions.
• Review waste profiles to determine if the profile is compliant with the NNSS WAC requirements.
• Demonstrates active leadership in safety, environmental protection, quality, event/issue reporting, corrective action program, and other related activities supporting the RWAP.
• Provide technical oversight of new generator programs and provide assistance when required.
• Manage the day-to-day workings of the Navarro RWAP database, by ensuring information is input into the database and reports/letters/memoranda are prepared electronically using the database.
• Assist in the review of existing processes to identify improvements.
• Identify issues, conducts investigations, and makes recommendations for corrective action.
• Lead key aspects of highly complex project work including activities critical to the success of the organization.
Bachelor’s degree in a technical field and 4 years of relevant experience. Must have a strong background in quality assurance and demonstrated experience performing audits and have the ability to lead audits. A working understanding of radioactive materials management and waste management regulations is required. Must have strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with team members, waste generators, management, the customer, and regulators. Knowledge and skills required to perform effectively include:
• Understanding of principles, concepts and techniques in environmental science and regulatory compliance related to natural resource protection laws and regulations. Examples include NEPA, RCRA, CERCLA, CWA, CAA, TSCA, and the NNSS FFACO.
• Demonstrated ability and skill to perform complex professional tasks and to analyze and develop innovative solutions to problems.
• Demonstrated ability to interface with peers, senior management, and the client.
• Level of language skills, mathematical skills, communication skills, reasoning ability and computer skills necessary to perform essential functions of the job. Proficiency with office software (word processing, spreadsheet, database) needed to manage and evaluate data and produce reports/letters/memoranda.
• Willingness to raise and resolve issues through formal and informal means in support of a learning environment and encourage and/or require others to do the same
Lead Auditor qualification desired.
A DOE Q clearance or ability to acquire a clearance is preferred.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Environmental Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.