Leidos Engineering is seeking a Protection and Control Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team, working in a fast paced environment, and solving challenging substation engineering problems. In the project engineering role the qualified individual will require a combination of strong engineering and communication skills that will facilitate teaching less experienced engineers. The position will include reporting to project managers, mentoring and directing design engineers and CADD/designer staff while also performing design quality reviews. Additionally, the candidate may be responsible for interfacing directly with clients and other staff in remote office locations. Assignments cover the full range of project planning through design and construction support. Design work may range from Substation physical layouts to Protection and Control schemes at 12.5kV through 500kV to Smart Grid and substation communications projects.
The successful candidate will apply a diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices as applied to substation engineering, design, and operation in the electric utility industry.
Job functions include but are not limited to the following:
• Prepare equipment specifications, analyzes bids, and makes recommendations for purchase
• Apply standards including the NESC, IEEE, IEC, and is familiar with design guides such as the RUS Bulletin 1742E-200
• Familiar with state and federal safety, regulatory compliance requirements, and construction codes
• Prepare project analysis, budgets, schedules, and plans
• Prepares construction and procurement documents
• Supports construction and substation and equipment commissioning
• Typically requires Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering from an accredited four-year institution with 4-8 years of experience related to the engineering and design of utility transmission and distributions substations to 500 kV; a MS Electrical Engineering degree with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience, will also be considered
• Electrical and civil engineering principles and practices as applied in the electric utility environment and the ability to analyze,
• Experience in the following areas:
• Substation site selection and permitting
• Arrangement and layout
• Equipment selection and specification
• Component and material assemblies
• One and three-line diagrams
• Knowledge of contemporary protection microprocessor based equipment and integration of same into operating schemes functioning with distributed intelligence
• Control and protection schemes including the preparation of schematics and wiring diagrams
• Application and interconnection of SCADA systems
• Substation grounding analysis and design
• Cabling and wiring and associated conduit systems
• Proficient in the use of computer software used for the planning, analysis, and design of electric utility projects;
• Proficient in the use of typical office computer software such as Word, Excel, Project, Acrobat Adobe
• Demonstrated ability to communicate, collaborate and interact with clients and other project team members
• Demonstrated technical writing skills
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.