Do you want to collaborate with scientists and engineers at a world class Federal R&D center for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles?
Leidos is seeking Transportation Research and Development Engineer Lab Assistants (R&D Lab Assistants) INTERN to join our team at the Saxton Laboratory in McLean, VA.
The Saxton Lab supports the USDOT and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) with a range of transportation and operations research programs.
This is a hands-on opportunity to be part of a large interdisciplinary research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies by developing, testing, and demonstrating new capabilities associated with Vehicle-to-Vehicle and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure communications (V2V, V2I, and V2X).
The R&D Lab Assistant INTERN will participate in some or all of the following:
- Assisting engineers and researchers with various phases of scientific research and laboratory upkeep.
- Configuring hardware and software systems required for control of traffic signals, traffic management systems, and vehicle guidance systems.
- Completing routine laboratory tasks as defined in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Contributing to the development of new best practices and SOPs for laboratory tasks.
- Configuring electrical, scientific, or networking equipment under supervision of senior engineers.
- Data collection and record keeping
Note: *The selected INTERN will be required to operate the vehicles and may have an opportunity for advanced driver training to serve as a Safety Driver for vehicle testing*
Candidates must be enrolled in a degree program in a relevant scientific or technical discipline such as Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Automotive Technology, etc.
- Aptitude for technology and interest in intelligent transportation solutions.
- Must be a good team player and able to give and take constructive feedback.
- Must be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand.
- Valid driver’s license and suitability to operate a motor vehicle.
Your GPA needs to be included on your application and resume.
US Citizenship Requirements
Candidate must be able to obtain an Public Trust clearance.
Preference for candidates with any of the following Qualifications:
- Linux experience.
- Familiarity with networking technologies – routers, switches, headless computer systems.
- Some programming/scripting experience – MATLAB, Python, JAVA, C++, or other.
Electromechanical troubleshooting experience
Direct research experience contributing to the authorship of a technical paper.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Intern Technical
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.