Are you ready to join Leidos all-star team? Through training, teamwork, and exposure to challenging technical work, let Leidos show how to accelerate your career path.
The Leidos Innovations Center has an exciting opening for you, our next Principal Data Engineer to assist with the design, development and implementation of alternative data ingestion pipelines to augment the National Media Exploitation Center (NMEC) data services working in Bethesda, MD. The DOMEX Data Discovery Platform (D3P) program is a next generation machine learning pipeline platform providing cutting edge data enrichment, triage, and analytics capabilities to Defense and Intelligence Community members. This principal engineer will lead a vital role collaborating as part of a cross-functional Agile team to create and enhance data ingestion pipelines and addressing Big data challenges.
You will work closely with the chief architect, systems engineers, software engineers, and data scientists on the following key tasks:
• Provide Extraction, Transformation, and Load (ETL) experience coupled with enterprise search capabilities to solve Big Data challenges
• Design and implement high-volume data ingestion and streaming pipelines using Open Source frameworks like Apache Spark, Flink, Nifi, and Kafka on AWS Cloud
• Leverage strategic and analytical skills to understand and solve customer and business centric questions
• Create prototypes and proofs of concept for iterative development
• Learn new technologies and apply the knowledge in production systems
• Monitor and troubleshoot performance issues on the enterprise data pipelines and the data lake
• Partner with various teams to define and execute data acquisition, transformation, processing and make data actionable for operational and analytics initiatives
To be successful in this role you need these skills (required):
• BS in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, or related technical field or equivalent experience with at least 10+ years in systems engineering or administration (6+ years with a MS/MIS Degree).
• Must have an active Top Secret security clearance and able to obtain a TS/SCI with Polygraph.
• 4 years of experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, NiFi
• 4 years of experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python (preferred) and/or Java
• 4 years of experience with and managing data across relational SQL and NoSQL databases like MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, HDFS, Redis, and Elasticsearch
• 4 years of experience working in a Linux environment
• 2 years of experience working with and designing REST APIs
• Expertise in designing/developing platform components like caching, messaging, event processing, automation, transformation and tooling frameworks
• Experience developing data ingest workflows with stream-processing systems: Spark-Streaming, Kafka Streams and/or Flink
• Expertise transforming data in various formats, including JSON, XML, CSV, and zipped files
• Expertise with performance tuning of ETL jobs
• Experience developing flexible ontologies to fit data from multiple sources and implementing the ontology in the form of database mappings / schemas
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills necessary to work effectively with customers and other team members.
It would be great if you have specific experiences and skills with the following (preferred):
• Data engineering experience in Intelligence Community or other government agencies
• Experience with Microservices architecture components, including Docker and Kubernetes. Experience developing microservices to fit data cleansing, transformation and enrichment needs
• Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, S3, EMR, RDS, Redshift, Athena and/or Glue
• Experience with Jira, Confluence and extensive experience with Agile methodologies.
• Knowledge about security and best practices.
• Knowledge of Scrum Agile development process and ceremonies including scrums, planning events, backlog grooming, retrospectives and demos.
• Experience developing flexible data ingest and enrichment pipelines, to easily accommodate new and existing data sources
• Experience with database and data lifecycle management
• Experience with software configuration management tools such as Git/Gitlab, Salt, Confluence, etc.
• Experience with continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) pipelines and their enabling tools such as Jenkins, Nexus, etc.
• Detailed oriented/self-motivated with the ability to learn and deploy new technology quickly
Additional Program Information
The DOMEX Data Discovery Platform (D3P) program will advance the state of the art in mission-focused big data analytics tools and micro-service development spanning the breadth of Agile sprints to multiyear research and development cycles. We are looking for you to have a demonstrated aptitude for problem solving complex technical issues, identifying, transforming, thinking outside the box, and a strong sense of accountability. Have a mix of technical excellence, intellectual curiosity, communications skills, customer-focus, and operational experience to improve the performance and user adoption of high-end data analytics platforms in partnership with a highly qualified, highly motivated team. Be motivated, self-driven team player who can multi-task and interact well with others and advise/consult with other team members on systems engineering and software development related issues.
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Development
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.