The Defense Group of Leidos has a career opportunity for a talented Scrum Master in Abingdon, MD to support a critical modernization effort of the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System (AFATDS) in order to satisfy the vision of Program Executive Office (PEO) Command Control Communications - Tactical (C3T) and Project Manager Mission Command.
This position is responsible for managing the software development lifecycle, including the planning, design, development, troubleshooting, debugging, and release of high quality, enterprise software products that meet or exceed all requirements and specifications. Duties include leading a 40+ member team in software design, java programming, code review, unit test, and configuration and maintenance of development operations tools and infrastructure. Responsible for managing large team of geographically distributed software engineers, providing mentorship to junior staff, and coordination of software staff members. Directs and oversees a hybrid Agile software development process according to program plans and industry best practices. Provides personnel management for technical program staff. Performs cost account management to ensure resources and schedules are aligned to meet program objectives.
The AFATDS is a multi-service, automated command, coordination, communication, and computing system that provides automated fire support and coordination to all echelons, from firing unit through theater level, at Army, Marine Corps, Naval Firing Platforms, Navy Command and Amphibious Assault Ships, Air Force Operations Centers, and Joint Command and Control Centers. AFATDS enables the automatic application of the Force Commander’s guidance in the Fires Warfighting Function to plan, execute, and deliver effects at all levels of command within the current and future force. AFATDS can automatically tailor the selection of fire support assets (field artillery, mortars, close air support, naval gunfire, attack helicopters, and offensive electronic warfare assets) based on the Commander’s guidance, thereby enabling maximum effective use of all available fire support assets across the full spectrum of conflict.
This effort is to meet the government’s objective to modernize the underlying AFATDS architecture, redesign the AFATDS front-end to a fully web- and role-based user interface, integrate common services made available through the Army’s Common Operating Environment (COE), and incorporate advanced embedded training technologies to aid in operator-initiated system instruction and refresher training.
- Work in tandem with the Cross-Capability Development Team (CDT) Execution Lead (CEL) and Scrum Master to manage multiple sprint teams across multiple geographic locations
- Provide guidance and oversight of CDT software team leads
- Collect and maintain velocity, burndown, and other agile metrics to measure team performance
- Maintain software quality within acceptable defect rates and ensure timely defect resolution
- Ensure adherence to all Army standards, Leidos policies, and software development best practices
- Lead daily stand-ups with all teams to address progress and roadblocks
- Recruit and retain professional software engineering staff within budget
- Oversee the design, development, troubleshooting, and debugging of mission critical software source code using modern software development languages and tools, such as Java
- Apply and enhance the software development processes and methodology in a mixed waterfall and agile program environment
- Use development operations, collaboration and source control tools including Jira, Confluence, and Git/Bitbucket
- Support complete and accurate technical system documentation and specifications across the program lifecycle
- Plan and estimate development tasks and work to improve performance metrics
- Implement software coding standards and ensure all code developed is maintainable and matches specifications
- Lead unit testing of code, including manipulation of data for analysis of system requirements
- Manage software defect resolution during all phases of the software development lifecycle
- Interact regularly with customer representatives to elaborate on requirements, convey technical approaches, and report software development status
- Coordinate software development team activities with Cross-CDT Functional Leads (CFL); inclusive of test and evaluation, architecture, safety, performance and cyber security
- Identify, assess and manage program risks related to software development activities
- Interact directly with Control Account Managers to manage work authorizations, earned value definitions and updates, and overall costs associated with the software development team
- Other duties as required
- BS degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain
- Software development leadership experience over a sizeable team (30+)
- Experience working in a geographically dispersed environment
- Agile Software development experience
- Expert knowledge of Unified Modeling Language (UML) and how to use it to build software models
- Experience with Cameo/MagicDraw, Jira, Confluence, and Git/Bitbucket
- Experience in Java/Java EE architecture and programming
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and REST based web service technologies, including WSDL, JAX-WS, JAX-RPC, XML, XSD, and XSLT
- Experience with web development, including HTML5
- Experience with Object Oriented Analysis, Design and Programming
- Experience with virtualization software, including VMWare
- Experience with automated unit test and test driven development concepts, tools, and languages
- Ability to multi-task, self-assign work, and function in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Good verbal and written skills
- Proficiency with MS Office Products (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, & Project)
- US citizenship and the ability to obtain a DoD SECRET security clearance
- Agile methodology training (e.g. SCRUM)
- Experience with Open Service Gateway Initiative (OSGi) development
- Experience serializing data structures using JSON or XML for communication with web clients
- Experience using and configuring Eclipse-based Java IDE
- Experience with Linux operating systems and Linux development
- Experience with PostgreSQL database setup and development
- Experience with AFATDS, Army Common Operating Environment (COE) or other PM MC systems
- Currently possess an active DoD SECRET security clearance
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.