No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”
A Mission Support Scientist (MSS) will support Rodent Research (RR) Missions on the International Space Station (ISS). An MSS works closely with a NASA contractor team, consisting of multiple groups of staff members across the U.S., to help mission investigators (typically faculty members of academic institutions) define, develop, and implement their research aboard the International Space Station (ISS). MSSs are typically assigned to several missions simultaneously and are responsible for acting as liaisons between the investigators (or their representatives) and the RR Program Interfaces to represent their scientific concerns to various groups within NASA and help the investigator teams develop crew procedures, plan ground and in-flight activities, assist in crew training, and provide on-orbit operations support. Thus, the MSS serves to integrate and facilitate the functions of the various stakeholders involved in the execution of the space research.
- Serve as a science liaison/advocate between mission principal investigators (PI) or their representatives, and the RR Project, responsible for maintaining PI awareness of schedules and implementation issues, which require their attention and participation.
- Provide science discipline expertise to assigned missions including: (1) Definition and management of science requirements; (2) Science support at scientific meetings; (3) ON-Orbit Operations Console support for assigned projects/missions, as required, which may require participation in activities outside of normal business hours, including overnight shifts.
- Proactive schedule and technical risk management for all aspects of science support.
- Coordinate with the PI for animal-use protocols, provide updates as required, and ensure that all training and data collection activities are in conformance with Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) animal use approval terms, for ground-based as well as in-flight activities involving animals.
- Prepare for and support crew training by ensuring facilities, consumables, and hardware are available as required.
- Create and validate detailed experiment procedures, checklists, and cue cards (for both nominal and off-nominal scenarios).
- Adhere to appropriate safety, quality, and environmental practice, as well as business ethics practices.
- Develop and demonstrate the interpersonal skills required to maintain productive working relationships with co-workers, management, and the customer.
- Personnel may be exposed to live animals, animal dander, sharp medical supplies, steam and hot water, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and other hazards associated with rodent research.
- May occasionally be required to travel to other NASA-affiliated sites across the U.S. in support of mission-related activities.
- B.S. degree in Biological Sciences or Biomedical Engineering (other science or engineering degrees considered with relevant experience) and 0-2 years relevant experience.
- Advanced degree and/or previous internship/co-op experience
- Familiarity with NASA project development and flight/payload operations processes
- Demonstrated leadership ability, excellent oral/written communication & problem solving skills. Previous experience in a team environment and ability to multitask are essential.
- Prior experience with animal handling and animal research.
This position requires successful completion of a government background check to access government facilities and/or systems. If you are not a United States Citizen or Green Card holder, this check could take 12-18 months to complete.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.