The Chief of Staff - Defense Group supports the Leidos’ Defense Group President (GP) in carrying out group wide strategic and operational initiatives. Specifically this role is responsible for leading projects and individuals representing business and functional leaders within the group, such as planning and strategy for the GP. Applies judgment to the most complex planning, design, technical and/or management functions. Also responsible for internal and external events and key customer meetings, including oversight of key group meetings and events that align with the strategic planning process. Primary customer contact for assigned cross organizational or operations projects. Identifies key stakeholder project objectives and requirements. Effectiveness will be determined by this individual’s ability to quickly form partnerships across the Defense organization and Corporate Headquarters
Reporting to the GP, primary responsibilities will include:
- Develops project plans and deliverables that meet identified requirements by application of, or in accordance with, accepted Project Management principles.
- Ensures assigned individuals are executing the identified and assigned tasks and providing appropriate tracking and reporting per plan.
- Manages GP visits to company sites to maximize impact of GP visibility and employee communication with GP.
- Works with GP and executive assistant to prioritizing external speaking engagements and conference attendance.
- Keeps abreast of all trade show and other customer and community focused events/activities in order to maximize the GP's exposure to key Leidos customers.
- Develops relationships with executive-level and senior management and keeps them informed of corporate planning calendar and other items related to GP priorities.
- Consults with senior management, project sponsors, and/or other stakeholders regarding the interpretation of work-around, recovery plans, work scope changes, etc. for multiple projects.
- Interfaces extensively with senior management. Interactions may involve controversial situations, or influencing and persuading other senior level managers.
- Develops relationships with executive and senior level management and external vendors. Makes recommendations and reports to the GP and executive leadership on status of projects, GP priorities, meetings and other areas of oversight.
- Leads others and directs all phases of assigned projects.
- Transform ideas and leadership inputs into executive level PowerPoint briefings (~2x / month).
- Supports GP in assessing scenarios requiring executive insight for problem/resolution such as issues arising out of particular organizations.
- Carries out and supports other operational projects as assigned by the GP.
Typical Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited university required, combined with 15 years of experience.
- 12 years of relevant experience and leadership responsibilities, that includes 3-5 years of experience specifically in project management
- Knowledge of program management/scheduling tools and techniques is expected.
- Demonstrated proficiency in all project management areas is critical.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal (including presentation) and written communication skills, including ability to establish positive and productive working relationships inside and outside the company across time zones.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Proj and Prog Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.