Civil / Structural Consulting Engineer
Leidos Engineering has an opportunity for a Civil / Structural Engineer with the responsibility for reviewing civil and structural design of (1) new and existing power generation projects including wind, solar, hydro, and thermal projects; and (2) transmission/distribution towers and substations as an Independent Engineer. The candidate is a team member supporting project managers during transactional due diligence.
Civil / Structural Consulting Engineer responsibilities:
• Subject matter expertise in civil and structural design, review of Engineering, procurement and Construction (EPC) contract specifications, review of drawings and calculations by others, providing Owner’s Engineering and Advisory support, and monitoring of construction projects.
• Assist the team in support of managing projects, developing sales proposals, technology reviews, estimating construction costs, and reviewing project construction schedules.
• Requires a Bachelor's of Science degree in civil or structural engineering with at least 12+ years of experience working on industrial, power delivery, or power generation projects; however, experience with structural design in other industries or types of projects could also be considered for this role, with an understanding of the site development including grading and drainage a plus.
• A master’s degree with a minimum of 10+ years of relevant experience will also be considered.
• An active professional engineer’s (PE) license.
• Design experience with increasing responsibility.
• Field engineering experience during the construction of projects.
• Team player with ability to communicate effectively with internal staff such as Project Manager’s and Subject Matter Experts from other disciplines, and with external parties such as Owners, Developers, Lenders, investors and manufacturers.
• Experience providing high level reviews of engineer’s models, calculations, and drawings and the overall design methodology for peer reviews, fatal flaw reviews, conformance to industry standards, and conformance project specifications.
• Competent with the various established codes used in structural design, such as the International Building Code, ASCE 7, ACI 318, and others. Familiarity with international codes a plus.
• Excellent and established oral and written communication skills.
• Proficient in the use of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
• Familiar with structural software including finite element software such as STAAD or RISA 3D.
• Self-starter, with the ability to work both independently or as part of a team.
• Ability to successfully meet client deadlines under pressure. Clients will include private equity, infrastructure, and hedge funds, investment and commercial banks, private developers, legal and financial advisors, original equipment providers, DOE, and EIA, among others.
• The job usually requires regular travel, including the potential for international travel, and can periodically include weeks with extended work hours to support client(s) needs.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
• A Master’s Degree in structural engineering is a plus.
• A licensed structural engineer (SE) is a plus.
• Bilingual/Spanish language speaking and reading skills is a plus
• Familiarity with large construction projects – industrial, large commercial mechanical and electrical systems, or electrical transmission and distribution experience is a plus.
• Experience in the design of power generation projects, including natural gas combined and simple cycle, wind turbine foundations, solar racking and trackers and the pile foundations, and rooftop solar systems is a strong differentiator.
• Familiarity with construction budgets and budget updates.
• Experience with construction CPM schedules and project controls used by an EPC Contractor during construction.
• Familiarity with review of construction specifications and submittals.
• Experience with estimating construction costs for power generation projects.
• Familiarity with construction documentation such as ECN’s, CD’s, RFI’s, and NCR’s.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Civil Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.