The Release Train Engineer (RTE) is a servant leader and coach for the Agile Release Train (ART). The RTE’s major responsibilities are to facilitate the ART events and processes and assist the teams in delivering value. The RTE will communicate with stakeholders, escalate impediments, help manage risk, and drive relentless improvement. Determine when and how to effectively scale Lean and Agile practices and understand the unique opportunities and challenges associated with facilitating and continuously aligning a large development program.
Participate in the Lean-Agile transformation, coaching leaders and Agile Product Teams in the new processes and mindsets in order to configure Agile processes to the organization’s needs, standardizing and documenting practices. The RTE will fulfill the following responsibilities:
• Manage and optimize the flow of value through the ART using various tools, such as the Program and Solution Kanbans and other information radiators
• Establish and communicate the annual calendars for Iterations and Program Increments (PIs)
• Facilitate PI Planning readiness by fostering a Continuous Exploration process which drives the synthesis of a Vision, a Roadmap, and Backlogs, and through Pre- and Post-PI Planning meetings
• Facilitate the PI planning event Summarize Team PI Objectives into Program PI Objectives (the RTE) and publish them for visibility and transparency
• Summarize program PI objectives into Solution PI Objectives (the STE) and publish them for visibility and transparency
• Assist tracking the execution of features and capabilities
• Facilitate periodic synchronization meetings, including the ART sync at the Program Level and the value stream sync for Solution Trains
• Assist with economic decision-making by facilitating feature and capability estimation by teams and the roll-up to Epics
• Help manage risks and dependencies
• Assist in resolution of impediments. Escalate and track unresolved impediments.
• Provide input on resourcing to address critical bottlenecks
• Encourage collaboration between agile product teams, portfolio architects, mission analysts, CBP Product Owners, and other stakeholders to help ensure strategy and execution alignment
• Improve the flow of value through value streams by improving and assessing the DevOps and Release on Demand competency
• Work with the Agile Program Management Office (APMO) Portfolio Manager on program execution and operational excellence
• Understand and operate within Lean Budgets and ensure adherence to Guardrails
• Facilitate System Demos and Solution Demos
• Assess the agility level of the ART and Solution Train and help them improve
• Foster Communities of Practice and the use of engineering and Built-In Quality practices
• Minimum 75% of their contribution to development efforts (design, develop, test, deploy) in their current and recent previous experience
• Minimum 5 years of hands on experience with the following: Angular, Spring / Spring Boot, Java, JPA, Microservices, Gradle, Maven, Ant, Junit, Cucumber, SonarQube, CI/CD pipeline, Jenkins, git, Jira, Confluence
• Understanding of software processes and methodologies and ability to speak intelligently about them
• Demonstrated understanding of servant leadership principles
• Expertise with DevSecOps frameworks
• Knowledge of software design patterns
• Proficiency with common Agile practices, service-oriented environments, and better development practices
• Proficiency with Agile management tools such as the Atlassian suite
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• U.S. Citizen
• Must have the ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance, at minimum
• Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
• PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)
• AWS, Azure or other cloud experience
• Experience supporting Agile projects for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Requires BS and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Business Systems Analysis
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.