Leidos operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where staff develop emerging technologies to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. Saxton Lab provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies.
Leidos is seeking an Agile Systems Engineer to develop ConOps, requirements, use cases, and other system level specifications, and organize system level testing to verify compliance to these specifications. Systems of interest relate to the following:
• Vehicle-to-infrastructure and vehicle-to-vehicle emerging technologies
• Automated vehicles
• Traffic operations
• Intelligent transportation systems
The candidate should enjoy helping others deploy technologies in real world settings and developing new solutions, tools, and opportunities to advance these support services and technology adoption. Some of the projects and technologies we develop are listed below.
• Transportation Simulation Manual
• Cooperative Automation Platform
• V2I Standards and Tools
• Connected and Automated Vehicle Modeling
• Connected and Automated Vehicle Applications
• Data Management and Cybersecurity
The Systems Engineer will be part of a larger research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA via developing, testing, and demonstrating new capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication. The Systems Engineer will perform technical work and develop deliverables as needed.
The Systems Engineer is expected to work on a full time basis and report to FHWA’s Turner Fairbank Highway Research Facility in McLean, VA. In addition to providing technical development, this position provides diverse job functions, many of them are listed below:
• Opportunities for business development and program growth
• Freedom to manage, own, and develop program, solutions, and new support services
• Client interaction and relationship development
• Equipment management, testing, and installation
• Software configuration
• Performance tracking and reporting
• Lead demonstrations, meetings, and webinars
• Produce clear and concise written communication and deliverables
• Provide technical guidance to clients, colleagues, and project team
• Review, produce, and/or oversee project deliverables (reports, software, physical solutions, etc.)
• Development of proposals, work efforts, budgets, schedules, and work breakdown structures
• Writing technical reports and systems engineering documentation
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in a technical field with 4+ years experience or Masters degree in a technical field with 2+ years experience,
• The candidate enjoys helping others, is self-motivated, takes ownership, has big picture and forward-looking vision, an ability to see the connections between things, desire to learn and grow, and ability to self-teach with minimal guidance.
• Candidate will need good oral and written communication skills, the ability to listen and accurately identify client needs and issues, must be proactive in actions and communications, and able to follow-through on commitments and deliver quality products ahead of or on schedule.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
• Must have valid driver's license and ability to pass DMV background check.
• Prior understanding of connected and/or autonomous vehicles
• Work experience in a consulting environment is a plus
• Understanding of connected vehicle standards, such as SAE J2735, IEEE 1609, NTCIP 1202
• Familiarity with collaborative design and engineering processes like Agile development methodology (e.g. SCRUM, Feature and Test-Driven Developmentetc.).
• Translate high-level business requirements into stories for sprint backlogs.
• Define and maintain test plans and test specifications for functional, regression, and performance testing
• Perform testing on an as-needed basis
• Generate test reports and traceability matrix
• Experience developing transportation standards and participation in standards organizations
• Geospatial positioning (e.g., GPS) and position correction (e.g., RTCM)
• Aerial photo accuracy, correction, mapping, and conversion to data
• Network engineering
• Wireless communications, particularly DSRC, cellular, or Wi-Fi
• Systems Engineering
• TMC communication protocols
• Data management
• Artificial Intelligence
• Vehicle automation
• Detailed knowledge of U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration’s Operations Program
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.