Associate Field Engineer - Knoxville TN
Leidos Engineering is seeking an Associate Field Engineer to work in the Knoxville TN area either from the client location or a home office. It is expected that this role will involve the execution of data collection, mapping, and engineering model development, as project and client needs dictate. Our Engineering team prepare models for system studies including Arc Flash, Capital Planning, Coordination, and Solar Impact which are conducted for Municipal Utilities, Investor Owned Utilities, and electric system cooperatives. The position will involve client facing work and have growth potential the right candidate.
The successful candidate will have an interest in working in the field. Work will be performed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Trimble gps units, and other client systems. Distribution systems may be in an overhead and underground environment.
Project work will require: field data collection, GIS updates, and engineering model development. Assignments may also include performing engineering calculations: power flow, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering or related engineering degree is required with 0-2 years of experience
- Experience functioning in a technical role in distribution studies and capable of conducting studies under the direction of a technical supervisor desired.
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
Nice to haves
- Relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company
- Experience with SKM, ETAP, EasyPower, and/or Milsoft’s WindMil experience also a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with digital cartography, image processing, computer technology, geographical information systems, (GIS)
- Fundamentals of Engineer certification
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude and ability to work effectively in teams.
- Professional dress and demeanor
- <5% Working with client in the office or via a field visit
- 75%-85% Field visit to collect electrical facility
- 10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.