Systems Engineer Transition Lead -Air Traffic Control
Leidos is seeking a Systems Engineer who will be the Transition Lead for a dynamic team working on the development of an air traffic control and management system that improves aircraft runway and terminal congestion. Nationwide congestion is increasing, and the need for efficient aircraft traffic planning is critical. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Terminal Flight Data Manager (TFDM) is the surface management solution that will provide NextGen Air Traffic Control capabilities to improve air traffic operations in the National Airspace System (NAS).
The Terminal Flight Data Management (TFDM) program is a Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) NextGen program based on airport surface management provides that efficiencies for both the airport surface and terminal airspace by providing a new and comprehensive integrated surface traffic control and management system.
TFDM functions include:
• Surface Collaborative Decision making (SCDM), departure scheduler and other airport decision tools
• Electronic Flight Data (EFD);
• Enhanced Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) Traffic Flow Management System (TFMS)
• Replacement or integration of multiple systems in the National Airspace System (NAS).
• TFDM will share data among: controllers, aircraft operators, and airports so they can better stage arrivals and departures and manage traffic flow within terminal airspace for greater efficiency.
• Stakeholders will have a shared awareness of flights on the ground and in the air, the ability to exchange data electronically, with the goal of a continuous real-time picture of traffic volume and airport resources, making flights more efficient from gate to gate.
Supporting the TFDM program as the Leidos Systems Engineering (SE) Transition Lead. Providing technical leadership and guidance for the Transition planning, coordination and site support for the TFDM program the successful candidate will be:
• Modernizing the air traffic control tower equipment by improving the exchange of electronic flight data and implementing electronic flight strips.
• Streamlining the schedule sequence of departures to improve efficiency on the surface.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities between the gate and the tower.
• Serving as a prime SE technical interface for Transition related activities for internal and external customers
• Leading the Transition Planning activities, which define the logical and physical transition of the TFDM system
• Leading and facilitating Transition Planning Working Group meetings with customer
• Providing on-site Transition support at the TFDM sites
• Identifying risks, opportunities and dependencies and coordinating plans to resolve the risks and dependencies
• Performing Systems Engineering as needed for the TFDM system
• Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
• Requires Bachelors of Science and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience.
• Systems Engineering experience, including proven experience working in complex projects gathering user requirements and converting them into system requirements
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience:
o Working directly with customers to discuss their requirements and objectives
o Interfacing with other functional areas (e.g. Software, Hardware)
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Familiarity with the National Air Space and FAA NextGen Air Traffic control programs
• Experience supporting transition of Air Traffic control automation systems
• Experience supporting Technical Reviews and Working Group meetings with customer
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.