Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry in a group of intelligent and motivated individuals? This Leidos team operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of emerging technologies, including vehicle automation and communication. To support these goals, Leidos is hiring a Software Engineer in McLean, Virginia, as part of a team of researchers in developing the latest automated vehicle technology as a key part of the Leidos team supporting the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) cutting-edge research at Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). This work involves development and maintenance of various back end systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity. This person will play a significant role in implementing, adopting and evaluating technologies developed both in-house and by others. Systems of interest relate to the following:
- Vehicle-to-anything (V2X) communication hardware, software and standards
- Vehicle automation and cooperation
- Traffic and driving simulations
- Traffic operations
- Intelligent transportation systems.
The Software Engineer will be part of a team of developers writing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research, including connected vehicles and human factors, in McLean, VA. We are part of a larger research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that pushes the boundaries of connected and autonomous vehicle technology for the FHWA for purposes of demonstrating capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication that will support the larger Intelligent Transportation System initiatives. We also study human factors, such as a driver’s ability to recognize and react to various situations, including interaction with automated vehicles. Software assignments may include rendering of visual scenes; control of automated vehicles; communications with network or hardware devices including radios; guidance algorithms; data collection, display, storage and retrieval, and data analysis; web applications for data entry, status reporting or control; data parsing and composition; database operations and data warehousing; and public web site operations. It is important that all team members are flexible and able to contribute outside of their primary expertise, so we are looking for someone who will be open to “getting hands dirty,” possibly test driving vehicles, helping to configure hardware, acting as systems administrator, helping to manage lab assets, etc.
- Be a good team player and be able to give and take critical feedback on work products
- Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
- Be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand
- Be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement
- Be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work
- Work hard for the team’s success
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- BS in computer science, engineering or other science discipline
- 0-1 year full-time professional experience developing software
- Working knowledge of UML design language
- Valid driver’s license in the US
US Citizenship Requirements
Candidate must be able to obtain an Public Trust clearance.
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Network design, configuration and maintenance
- Understanding of communication protocols – TCP/UDP, SNMP
- Wireless communications, including cellular, WiFi and DSRC
- Experience developing to standards. Familiarity with SAE and NTCIP
- Knowledge of IP concepts, techniques and common practices (e.g. working with sockets, internal vs external IP addressing, routing, etc)
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Understanding of physics, especially dynamics and kinematics
- Knowledge or experience analyzing or developing control systems
- Experience developing real-time, embedded software
- Knowledge of standard vehicle electronic systems
- Knowledge of GPS positioning and corrections, geodesy
- Experience with Git, Maven, Gradle, Docker and continuous integration
- Hands-on experience developing code with Unity/HTC Vive
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.