The Mission Support Operation is currently soliciting experienced linguists at all levels (i.e., entry through expert) for a language services contract supporting an Intelligence Community customer in the National Capital Region (NCR). Linguists will be conducting media monitoring and analysis. They will perform a full range of activities in processing textual, video, audio, and social media material, including monitoring, selection, full translation, summarization, and analysis based on the monitoring and analysis of traditional media and social media information. All work will be performed from the linguist’s home office.
Primary Languages of Interest: Dari/Pashto
First and foremost, all applicants must have full professional fluency in American English, including a command of common idioms and expressions.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:The primary responsibilities of the linguists are:Monitor assigned Internet-based media sources and make selections based on customer criteria Process source vernacular into translations, summaries, roundups, and other defined products Adhere to strict style and format editorial standards Respond to requirements from customers by collecting data, analyzing results, and publishing detailed written reports.
Education & Experience:
- Requires a BA degree and/or 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience ( as a foreign media collector, translator, analyst, technical officer, or journalist) or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience.
- Professional-Level proficiency in a foreign language (ILR 3 or higher)
- Experience as a foreign media collector, translator, analyst, technical officer, or journalist Experience with open source research, including social media exploitation
- Focused knowledge of particular media environments Ability to capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text
- Experience in translating or summarizing from live or recorded video or audio
- Ability to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts
- Ability to triage selections to isolate pertinent and nuanced info
- Master use of reference materials. Must possess computer skills; including MS Office, to be able to produce written translations and products and sufficient Internet skills that will allow advanced research on the Web
- Ability to work independently and as a contributor to a virtual team Self-starter with curious mindset and desire to solve problems and learn new skills Strong organizational skills, time-management skills, attention to detail, and strong initiative
- Effective communicator in both written and verbal formats to a variety of audiences
- Successful completion of English and foreign language translation testing
- Experience with Human Language Technology (HLT) such as computer assisted translation (CAT) tools, post-edited machine-translation, and adaptive machine translation tools.
- Subject matter expertise or education in politics, culture, religion, international relations, economics, energy, counter-proliferation, cyber threats, counter-narcotics, military, science and technology, counterterrorism, or media of a particular country or region.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.