The Leidos Corporation was selected by the National Science Foundation as the Prime Contractor for supporting U.S. research sites in Antarctica. Leidos is looking to fill a Construction Manager (CM) position, who will manage construction projects throughout the United States Antarctic Program. Projects range from civil work, utilities construction, facility construction, renovation, repairs, and science construction support. Construction efforts will be a mix of self-performed and subcontracted work.
The position is based in Centennial, Colorado, and requires periodic, and perhaps multiple deployments to Antarctica in a single year. It is anticipated that the Construction Manager will deploy each season, typically during the Austral Summer (Oct – Feb). Deployment may sometimes be required during the shoulder seasons (Aug. – Oct and/or Feb – June). Total deployment time is expected to be 4 to 5 months per year.
PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Deployment will be required in this position. This position requires successful completion of the National Science Foundation (NSF) physical, dental, and psychological examinations for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. US citizenship or permanent residency is required.
While in Denver, the CM will collaborate in the development and review of upcoming construction efforts. This includes the development of new and review of existing resource loaded schedules; development of material takeoffs for self-performed work. The CM will work with the engineering staff, planning and controls, and project managers to ensure that designs are complete, materials are procured, and resources are identified and hired as required to meet project requirements. CM will also work with Engineering and other Stakeholders on constructability reviews and in developing innovative approaches to building design/construction for Antarctica. The CM in conjunction with the project manager will work with Safety to ensure project safety plans are thought out, and meet OSHA and other applicable safety standards and requirements.
While in Antarctica, the CM will oversee construction superintendents, trade supervisors, and tradespersons and is responsible for managing resources tied to construction activities and change control activities if needed. CM will also oversee execution of subcontracted construction activities to ensure delivery of those scopes of work in compliance with specifications, schedules, quality and other project requirements.
Specific job duties include:
- Directly responsible for the execution of project construction.
- Manages construction activities following project plans, specifications, and project schedules.
- Keeps relevant project managers and others informed of project status, issues, and incidents for the project.
- Plan and coordinate for availability of equipment, tools and materials required to execute self-perform scopes of work
- Performs planning and estimating as required to support construction estimates, schedules, and procurements. This may include schedule development, design reviews, constructability reviews, development of material take-offs and “bills of materials” based on engineering design drawings and project specifications, and development of cost and labor estimates
- Responsible for change control during the construction phase of projects and for managing budgets tied to construction activities.
- Identifies required design and specification changes prior to construction, and utilizes the request for information process, documented changes through engineering review.
- Participates in project meetings/teleconferences to monitor progress, implement procedures, ensure compliance with specifications and standards, and ensure safety procedures are being followed.
- Reports project progress in relation to project schedules, and updates schedules at required intervals.
- Interacts with National Science Foundation, military and other agency officials in a professional and tactful manner, on an as needed basis.
- Communicates professionally, both orally and in writing, with subordinates as needed to relay information they need in order to be successful in their jobs. This includes, but is not limited to, staff meetings, performance appraisals, job requirements, projects, Quality Standard Procedures, and safety practices.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring that safety is the highest priority on the job site.
- Performs other duties as required
PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Deployment to Antarctica is required in this position at discretion of management. When required to deploy, the individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure. US citizenship or permanent residence is required.
EDUCATION: Typically requires a BA/BS degree. BA/BS degree in Management, engineering, or related discipline is preferred. Equivalent work experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree.
EXPERIENCE: Typically requires a minimum of ten years of relevant experience is required, including 5 years of construction supervision. Experience supervising trades employees, project scheduling and project cost estimating is required.
• Experience executing construction projects in remote and logistically challenging locations.
• Experience working in a matrixed organization of Project Managers, Construction Managers, Engineers, Estimators, Project Controls, and Drafters.
• Experience managing field crews and coordinating multiple subcontractors simultaneously.
• Experience managing field changes, quality control inspections, final punch-lists, progress reporting, and other activities supporting Final Completion.
• Experience developing and reviewing project schedules for completeness and accuracy. Primavera and Microsoft Project experience preferred.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.