The Cyber and SIGINT Solutions Operation (CSS), in the Leidos Intelligence Group, has an opportunity for a 5G Research and Development Engineer in Columbia, MD. The selected candidate will support research and development relating to 5G technologies, networks, and implementations, and Mobile Edge Computing (MEC). This position involves leading systems engineering activities that support building and delivering new and innovative systems to implement analytics, exploitation, production and dissemination of 5G networks and MEC. The research and development will support Leidos programs and new business areas in the Defense, Intelligence, and Civil markets.
The selected candidate will work on Leidos and customer-sponsored research and development projects in the 5G and MEC areas. Responsibilities include:
• Planning and executing research and development projects relating to 5G and MEC, coordinating across Leidos organizations to understand customer needs and use cases
• Developing techniques and deployments to capture 5G traffic from CONUS and OCONUS locations, leveraging Leidos’ international presence
• Researching and integrating CONUS and OCONUS OEM handsets and devices into 5G R&D efforts
• Developing applications to capture telemetry of 5G networks
• Developing applications to understand MEC implementations and edge computing approaches in a 5G network
• Engaging with Commercial vendors and labs to understand and validate HW, SW, and network configurations planned for use in 5G environments
Additionally, the candidate will work with a team of researchers and developers to document and demonstrate Leidos’ R&D capabilities and output to teammates and customers in support of Leidos programs and business development activities.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field with 8 years of relevant experience OR Master's degree and 6+ years of experience.
• Advanced understanding of mobile network technologies and modern mobile telephony systems
• Experience with various aspects of modern networks including RAN, Edge Computing, and Core network architecture and behavior
• Experience with or some combination of the following:
o Containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
o Scripting languages (e.g. bash, python)
o Full stack development
o Network design & troubleshooting
o Source code management tools & artifact management (e.g. git / BitBucket/ TFS)
o Team collaboration tools (e.g. Jira, Confluence)
• Experience with AWS
**All candidates must be willing to pursue a US Government security clearance (TS/SCI with Poly). The requires US Citizenship to obtain. A security clearance is not required at the time of hire, however, the application process will begin after hire.
It is highly desired that the selected candidate has:
• Experience with Software Define Radio (SDR) technologies such as gnuradio, USRP, or LimeSDR
• Experience and interest in fundamental networking implementations and concepts, including basic LAN and WAN networking skills
• Understanding of protocol analysis tools and techniques
• Experience with OpenStack
• The ability to work independently to deliver results
• A Master’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.