The Research Operations and Integration (ROI) Payload Systems Engineer (PSE) is responsible for preflight and real-time engineering support to ROI operations on the International Space Station. Payload Systems Engineer 'responsibilities include pre-flight software load testing, verification, documentation, and implementation of the systems level engineering elements needed to support ROI in-flight experiments. PSE's also assist in the preparation of the crew training facilities for training activities. As a member of the increment console operations ground control team, the PSE is responsible for monitoring the health and status of all active onboard equipment, real-time software commanding to the Human Research Facility Rack, hardware and software anomaly resolution, and science data management. The PSE acts as the engineering subject matter expert for pre-flight preparation and post-flight operational analyses.
The Payloads Systems Engineer will:
- Support console shifts (second and third shifts) in the Telescience Support Center as required for ROI experiment sessions. Primary contractor point of contact to the MSFC Payload Rack Officer (PRO) position, Data Management Coordinator, and Huntsville Operations Support Center (HOSC) personnel.
- Be the engineering SME for inflight operations and anomaly resolution
- Perform on-orbit Human Research Facility (HRF) Rack commanding in support of crew operations
- Train Ground Support Personnel and crew on HRF Racks
- Be responsible for data routing, testing, verification, management and distribution to principal investigators.
- Ensure compliance with Safety, Health and Environmental plan; and must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the Company's safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
- Ensure compliance with the Quality Assurance Plan, policies and procedures
- Ensure completion of all assigned training
- A bachelor's degree (BS) in Engineering or Biomedical Engineering or closely related field.
- Previous experience solving complex problems and working to develop solutions quickly.
- Familiarity with life sciences NASA support operations, including console operations
Must be able to maintain a Public Trust clearance.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.