Leidos is seeking a mid-level Software Engineer to work for the Security and Transportation Technology (STT) business unit in Vista, CA.
The STT business unit at Leidos designs and manufactures highly complex security equipment for use at border crossings, airports, seaports, and other transportation mechanisms. Our products include radiation detectors and spectrometers, X-ray and gamma ray scanners for cars, trucks and trains, and CT explosives detection equipment for airline passenger baggage.
In this role, you will:
- Work as part of a cross-functional team to develop and maintain cargo inspection and avionic detection systems for the Security and Transportation Technology business unit.
- Design, develop, test, and maintain Windows client-server and at times embedded applications using C# and C++.
- Develop software following the company's Agile processes and coding standards for new and existing products.
- Interact with Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Scientists to develop systems that are consistent with customer requirements.
- Utilize object oriented design principals, practices, and patterns to ensure our code base is reusable and maintainable.
- Use TDD to ensure the code base is tested and to enable refactoring in the future.
- Be proactive in leading group design discussions and/or grabbing another developer to pair program on non-trivial features/code.
- Report project status and issues to management as required. Evaluate customer problems, troubleshoot and assist Field Service Engineers, and help customers through problem resolution utilizing effective written and verbal communication skills.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or similar) with 5+ years of programming experience, 3 of those years must be in production product development using ‘C’, ‘C”++, C#, or Java.
- Strong object oriented design skills (OOD).
- Open to using Agile methodologies and practices.
- Ability to create design documentation, requirements specifications, and other technical documentation.
- Strong troubleshooting/bug fixing skills. You must be able to work and communicate proactively and effectively in a small cross-functional development team environment.
- Ability to pass TSA suitability background check.
- Must be willing to travel abroad. If travel is necessary, typically will be 10%.
- Experience with Agile SW practices, particularly TDD. Familiarity with OO design patterns, design of loosely coupled extensible architectures.
- Experience identifying code smells and utilizing refactoring techniques to reduce entropy in the code base.
- Experience with a documented form of design such as UML. Experience with revision control (e.g. TFS) and Agile software process experience (e.g. SCRUM).
- Software Development, Multi-threading, TCP/IP networking, bus architectures, Web Services, Visual Studio, ‘C’, C#/.NET, ADO.NET and SQL Server, interfacing with real-time/embedded systems, image processing.
- Local candidates are preferred. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.