Leidos is seeking an Electrical Engineer to work for the Security and Transportation Technology (STT) business unit in Vista, CA.
The STT business unit at Leidos designs and manufactures highly complex security equipment for use at border crossings, airports, seaports, and other transportation mechanisms. Our products include radiation detectors and spectrometers, X-ray and gamma ray scanners for cars, trucks and trains, and CT explosives detection equipment for airline passenger baggage.
In this role, you will:
- Work as part of a cross-functional engineering team with Scientists, Mechanical and Software Engineers to develop next-generation X-ray based security equipment.
- Design microcontroller and PLC-based machine control systems, including circuit design, embedded programming, motion control, and power distribution.
- Develop X-ray detector data acquisition systems for R&D and production equipment.
- Design printed circuits and direct PCB layout, fabrication, and assembly.
- Produce Engineering documentation such as design specifications, interface control documents, schematics, wiring diagrams, and bills of material.
- Typically, we have no more than 2-3 Electrical Engineers working on any single project, and for smaller projects the Engineer will work on their own to develop solutions, present concepts and designs in a review, and complete the implementation.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with 5+ years of professional experience
- Able to see a design through from R&D to production, including writing specifications (system, subsystem, ICD’s, etc), developing design documentation, building prototypes, designing for production, and troubleshooting problems.
- Experience in industrial control system design, including PLCs, object sensing, electrical interfaces, circuit protection, communications protocols, and power distribution.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as PLC/IEC61131, C, VHDL.
- Experience with electrical test equipment such as oscilloscopes, DMMs, function generators, bench supplies.
- Familiar with a product development process including design specifications, design reviews, engineering drawings and documentation formats, and ECR processes
- Comfortable working with and around Xray radiation producing machines, radioactive materials, high voltage, heavy machinery, electric and hydraulic power systems.
- Able to effectively work with a cross-functional team of scientists, engineers, and technicians, as well as handle a wide range of multidisciplinary tasks.
- Ability to pass TSA suitability background check.
- Must be willing to travel abroad. If travel is necessary, typically will be 10%.
- Knowledge of radiation detection technologies and data acquisition system.
- Knowledge of Xray producing machinery.
- Experience developing system architectures and designs for complex systems.
- Local candidates are preferred. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.