Leidos is seeking a Mid to Senior level Mechanical Engineer to work for the Security and Transportation Technology (STT) business unit in Vista, CA.
The STT business unit at Leidos designs and manufactures highly complex security equipment for use at border crossings, airports, seaports, and other transportation mechanisms. Our products include radiation detectors and spectrometers, X-ray and gamma ray scanners for cars, trucks and trains, and CT explosives detection equipment for airline passenger baggage.
In this role, you will:
- Design and develop large-scale cargo inspection systems.
- Develop and design mechanical assemblies, specify mechanical components, define operational specifications, test and document designs and provide product service support.
- Support overall program objectives in executing definition and details of development process per schedules, budgets, and technical direction.
- Work closely with Engineers and Scientist of other disciplines to assure overall system design and performance is implemented and maintaining correctly.
- Create and maintain specifications ensuring documents are well developed, accurate, and consistent.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with 6+ years of related experience.
- Hands-on experience in the development and design of electromechanical systems.
- Proficient in Engineering Mechanics (Static and Dynamics), Fluid Mechanics, and Heat Transfer.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks based on guidance and direction from the engineering manager.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a team environment.
- Hands-on experience with defining and implementing formal design documentation for mechanical engineering designs including assembly and detail drawings, BOM’s, 3D CAD modeling.
- Training and experience with Solid modeling.
- Physical abilities consistent with normal work in engineering design and development environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to pass TSA suitability background check.
- Must be willing to travel abroad. If travel is necessary, typically will be 10%.
- History of completing commercial finished products. Knowledge of machining, fabrication, and sheet metal, processes.
- Experience developing, executing and reporting engineering test and results.
- Can write reports, business correspondence, and technical procedures.
- Large integrated industrial platforms.
- Materials and material properties associated with outdoor platforms and electronic enclosures.
- Corrosion protection techniques.
- Materials finishing processes.
- Solidworks or other design/analysis software tools.
- Can effectively apply Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ANSI Y14.5).
- Local candidates are preferred. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.