Leidos is seeking a Chemist – Laboratory Operations Manager to maintain and support the client’s research labs at NETL. The Chemist – Laboratory Operations Manager will have a strong background in understanding proper safety and health protocol for laboratories and should be well versed in chemical handling and waste protocol. You will need to understand good lab practices and housekeeping to enable the client to comply with standards for operational efficiency.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- The candidate should have leadership experience and be strongly safety oriented.
- Ensures shared project consumables and resources are available.
- Oversee the scheduling and coordinating of resources and testing.
- Draft work orders and coordinate work to minimize disruption to laboratory work.
- Draft laboratory specific procedures and other documentation for approval as requested by the Responsible Person (RP).
- Maintain project safety SARS file is kept at the project site as customer requests.
- Provide laboratory and equipment specific training to research staff as requested by customer.
- Provide support during utility outages to ensure proper equipment shutdown are performed and communicated in a timely manner.
- Assist researchers in the identification of new equipment.
- Provide recommendations on new equipment for refresh or capability expansion.
- Ensures proper chemical storage, handling, and disposal including ensuring proper notifications are communicated to the Chemical Inventory Manager.
- Ensure good lab practices and housekeeping are maintained and comply with high quality standards for operational efficiency.
- Attend the initial and annual permit assessments to assist with answering questions regarding project operations.
- Review any findings associated with the project and provide necessary follow-up and documentation for approval and closeout of the finding.
- Review experimental test plans to determine that they are within permitted scope and design envelope of the lab. Provide recommendations to the RP for review and approvals.
- Review project descriptions and inputs required for the design process and make appropriate recommendations to RP for consideration.
- Work with the Safety Support Personnel in the development of the safety documentations (may include NEPA, ISO and Pollution Prevention and Waste Minimization forms) and any other environmental components of the SARS package.
- Track all laboratory specific training to ensure all operators are trained in the proper usage of laboratory equipment.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and bring to the attention of the customer.
- Monitor change management and report any concerns to the RP.
- Provide weekly update highlighting high-level accomplishments to manager.
- B.S.in Chemistry with at least 5 years of experience managing a laboratory.
- This position requires extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- NEPA, ISO, Pollution Prevention and Waste Minimization Skills.
- M.S degree in Chemistry.
- Familiar with working in a Research and Development setting.
- Experience managing lab operations for GOGO (Government owned Government operated) Lab.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.