Are you interested in improving and shaping the Transportation industry? Leidos is the lead for the US Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Research and Development program for new Surface Transportation technologies improving the safety, operation, and efficiency of the nation’s transportation system.
Leidos is seeking a Transportation Hardware Test Engineer who is motivated by variety, thrives in a challenging environment, seeks professional growth, and will be a key part of a team developing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research. This person will play a significant role in evaluating technologies developed both in-house and by others. This position requires previous experience testing hardware.
Systems of interest relate to the following:
• Vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) and vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication hardware and standards,
• Autonomous/Driverless vehicles,
• Traffic operations, and
• Intelligent transportation systems.
The successful candidate will work closely with software developers, systems engineers and project managers to develop and execute test plans, identify and resolve defects, and improve the quality of the finished applications. The candidate should enjoy working in a lab environment and in real world settings developing and testing new solutions, tools, and opportunities to advance the state of technology and promote adoption. The Test Engineer will be part of a growing research team that advances Connected and Autonomous vehicle technologies for FHWA.
The Test Engineer is expected to work on a full time basis onsite at FHWA’s Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA. Primary responsibilities include:
• Interacting with customer and in-house development teams to understand and resolve technical goals and challenges
• Building and maintaining trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities
• Managing, testing, and installing equipment (in vehicles and in Road Side Equipment)
• Configuring hardware and software
• Tracking and reporting performance of devices and software under test
• Producing clear and concise records of testing
• Conducting demonstrations, meetings, and webinars
• Writing technical reports and technical documentation
• Contributing to proposals, work efforts, budgets, schedules, and work breakdown structures
• Additional duties to include: RSE testing, automated test planning and development, software integration, system testing, and user documentation.
• Travel to test track facilities (less than 25% of the year)
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Systems, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or other related engineering field.
• 2+ years of experience testing and debugging complex software and hardware systems
• Must be US Citizen
• Experience with creating comprehensive test cases
• Experience in Identifying, documenting and tracking software defects
• Knowledge in hands-on setup of data collection hardware and software
• Self-motivated and ability to self-teach with minimal guidance
• Good oral and written communication skills
• Able to follow-through on commitments and deliver quality products ahead of or on schedule
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance
• Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check
• Understanding of connected and/or automated vehicle operations
• Knowledge of the systems engineering process
• Familiarity with C++, C#, C running on Linux Operating systems
• Experience with IPv4, IPv6, TCP/UDP, and networking in general
• Strong Experience working with Java, Python, SQL, Windows
• Experience with Git, Maven, and Gradle
• Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
• Understanding of connected vehicle and ITS standards, such as SAE J2735, IEEE 1609, IEEE 802.11, NTCIP 1202
• Experience with software development
• Experience with Geospatial positioning (e.g. GPS) and position correction (e.g. RTCM)
• Familiarity with Network administration/engineering
• Understanding of wireless communications, particularly DSRC, cellular, or Wi-Fi
• Experience with Data management
• Familiarity with Lidar
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Testing and Quality Assurance
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.