Have interest in being our next Senior Navigation Engineer for the Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) in Huntsville, AL? Our team’s mission is to: (1) develop and demonstrate new alternative navigation technologies to meet urgent military operational needs to operate in GPS-challenged environments, and (2) rapidly transition this technology to operational platforms to outpace the adversary threats currently being faced in the field. Project involve small teams of engineers working together in spiral or agile development environments to meet aggressive customer schedules aimed at near-term field demonstrations of emerging capabilities. Our core competencies include sensor fusion, computer vision, HW/SW integration, and machine learning. Typical customers include Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC) engineering centers, Office of Naval Research (ONR), and Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL). We are looking for a candidate who is interested in performing challenging technical work, leading small teams of engineers, and supporting new business activities.
Fun challenges on the job:
• Perform system-level analysis and software development for alternative navigation systems, with an emphasis on naval/maritime systems.
• Serve as technical lead and/or project manager for navigation development efforts with teams of 3 to 12 junior and mid-level engineers.
• Develop mathematical sensor errors models and implement navigation filters including Extended Kalman Filters, Unscented Kalman Filters, and Particle Filters.
• Support trade studies and requirements development for integrated alternative navigation systems. Technologies of interest include traditional navigation sensors (Inertial Measurement Units, GPS receivers) as well as novel augmenting technologies (cameras, celestial, signal of opportunity exploitation).
• Support development and integration with navigation simulations, including navigation error models and vehicle platform six-degree-of-freedom (6DOF) models
• Support hardware/software integration and field testing of new prototype navigation systems
• Support proposal development for new business opportunities, including technical solution design to meet novel requirements as well as proposal writing assignments
• Present to senior government and commercial clients (with an emphasis on US Navy customers) for both status on current projects as well as presenting concepts for new business opportunities
Skills you need to be successful in this role:
• Bachelor’s Degree in advanced technical field (Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent) with 15+ years experience performing and leading navigation development work.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance
• Programming experience with Matlab, Python, and/or C/C++
• Demonstrated leadership experience on navigation technology development projects for military or commercial customers
• Strong customer interaction skills with potential to immediately lead research and development projects
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Masters or PhD in advanced technical field (Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent) with 20+ years experience performing and leading navigation development work.
• Experience leading a project that resulted in a fielded navigation technology
• Experience presenting to senior government and military officials (O-6 and above)
• Experience leading a successful competitive technical proposal that resulted in new work for previous company, particularly in support of DARPA or a military research laboratory
• Existing security clearance at Secret level or above
• Experience with autonomous vehicle / robot system development
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.