The Leidos Life Sciences Division anticipates an opening to work as a Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education Specialist for the Headquarters of the United States Army Medical Research and Development Command (USAMRDC). This is a full time position located at Fort Detrick, MD. The STEM Education Specialist will coordinate and manage the Gains in the Education of Mathematics and Science (GEMS) Program, a STEM program that is conducted each summer at Fort Detrick for approximately 600 4th through 10th grade students, sponsored by the Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP) and the USAMRDC. The STEM Education Specialist will also participate in planning and conducting additional STEM activities and will assist in outreach and partnership activities throughout the year, to include outreach to local elementary, middle and high schools, as well as colleges and universities, to increase awareness of STEM program opportunities.
Position responsibilities include:
- Planning the summer GEMS Program, including schedule, staff planning and training, and space and logistics planning
- Reviewing and updating the GEMS Program curriculum to align with current educational standards and objectives
- Developing the annual budget for the GEMS Program including program staff, stipends for participating students, equipment and supplies, and laboratory space
- Managing review of applications and hiring of 20-25 person GEMS Program staff (college undergraduates, 11th and 12th grade high school students, and certified K-12 teachers)
- Conducting review of student applications and selection of participants for the GEMS Program, and creating class rosters
- Providing all administration for the GEMS Program, including management of employee forms and onboarding activities (i.e., background checks, W-9 forms, etc), student forms, stipend checks, staff payroll, and purchasing of equipment and supplies
- Preparing materials each week for all staff (i.e., lesson worksheets, supplies or equipment)
- Overseeing and coordinating daily activities of GEMS Program staff during the summer program performance period, and assisting with general classroom management of 100-120 students each week
- Organizing and hosting weekly GEMS graduation ceremonies
- Coordinating participation of guest speakers and subject matter experts in GEMS Program activities
- Participate in a program After Action Review with the AEOP
- Assist in developing proposals, grant applications, and implementation plans for educational programs
- Conducting educational outreach activities with local schools and establish educational partnership agreements for sharing of resources and information
- Developing briefings and providing data and other information to respond to inquiries about educational programs
- Bachelor’s degree in education with a focus in science, mathematics, or engineering field, or in a STEM-related field, and 2 years of experience in increasingly responsible positions, with at least 1 year of experience in work with responsibilities related to the advertised position.
- Individuals must have direct experience in the development and execution of a STEM curriculum for K-12 student participants, and demonstrated experience in the development and execution of STEM engagement and outreach activities.
- Individuals must demonstrate excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work in a fast paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Individuals must demonstrate ability to summarize complex issues and demonstrate excellent written communications skills, preferably through examples of relevant work products.
- Individuals must demonstrate excellent verbal communication skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact easily and effectively with executives and program managers at all levels as well as staff.
- Individuals must demonstrate maturity and ability to deal with government representatives with appropriate respect and regard for protocol.
- Individuals must be proficient in Microsoft Outlook and Office applications, particularly Word and PowerPoint.
- U.S. citizenship and ability to obtain a Secret clearance is required.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and execution of STEM engagement activities across large organizations, preferably a Government level organization, to include STEM internships management skills and the ability to support a multitude of subordinate programs.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.