Leidos is seeking an IBM Mainframe Operator to be a member of IBM Services Team and will be assigned to work full time at a customer site in Washington, DC. This individual will provide Mainframe Operator Services and manage, operate and maintain IBM Mainframes.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Serves as an Operator for the mainframe environment, which provides mainframe systems support for -wide customers in an enterprise data center environment.
- Responsible for the monitoring, operations, integrity, and technical support of the Department’s IBM System mainframe environment.
- Perform systems operation support, including mainframe operator administration, general troubleshooting, and troubleshooting of complex console issues for hardware, software, and network components.
- Document all platform service processes and procedures and maintain the artifacts in a document repository.
- Provide monitoring support for mainframe LPARS across all datacenters. Check all monitors for alarms and ensure tickets are open on selected sites down.
- Process system backups and prepare for offsite storage.
- Process Vaulting jobs and prepare for offsite storage.
- Answer incoming calls and direct request to system engineers, if problems can’t be resolved quickly.
- Performs facility checks.
- Continuously monitor for high priority ticket outages or major issues.
- Perform status updates to BMC system on any open tickets and follow up with customers.
- Return incoming offsite tapes to IBM tape silo.
- Check and make available enough scratch tapes for stand-alone tape drives.
- Distribute paper to copiers and printers.
- Submit resource information to monthly billing report process.
- Process any restore requests on the VM System.
- Load Backup tapes in VNS Servers.
- Verify Batch Jobs for are in the queue for execution.
- Cancel or release and start batch jobs per user request on mainframe LPARs.
- Assist customers with starting VPS printers.
- Recycle customer’s ONLINEs per request.
- Release and start system initiators.
- IPL system LPARs during monthly mainframe outage.
- IPL system LPARs per request.
- Check status of HIDRO backups.
- Bachelor’s degree and 8 years relevant work experience as a Mainframe Operator with an IT equipment vendor, service provider or data center; additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Senior Level hands-on knowledge of Mainframe Operations is required for this position.
- Strong analytical, performance tuning and problem resolution skills.
- Proven ability to determine, analyze and resolve software and device related problems.
- Demonstrated high level communication skills and ability to develop positive relationships with customers, team members, vendor service providers and stakeholders.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate problems and solutions both verbally and in writing to the Government Lead.
- Ability to work independently and troubleshoot problems with speed and efficiency.
- Ability to work closely with others in a team environment
- Ability to interface with all customer levels.
- IBM z-series Mainframes, IBM TS7720/7740 VTL.
- Operating Systems: z/OS, zLINUX, zVM
- IBM SW: JES2, TSO, ISPF, SDSF, JCL, FTP, VTAM, SMS, IBM Utilities, Tape Management Software (CA-1), CA-Scheduler
- Other: BMC Remedy Change Management, Reflections, CONNECT:DIRECT
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Administration
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.