Are you interested in supporting a team of intelligent and motivated individuals aimed in improving and shaping the transportation industry? Leidos is seeking a Mid-level Outreach/Communications Specialist sitting on-site in McLean, Virginia, to support a team of researchers in automated vehicle technology. Leidos team operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a state-of-the-art USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of emerging technologies, including vehicle automation and communication.
The Outreach/Communications Specialist will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting the communications and outreach needs associated with the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will be part of a larger research team that develops new connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA.
The laboratory enables FHWA to validate and refine new transportation services and technologies. The position will assist in the execution of the overall outreach and communications strategy and the implementation plan to inform, educate, engage, and develop stakeholders in the transportation industry. This includes efficiently creating and measuring the effectiveness of a variety of communications, like fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations, videos, infographics, and topical articles.
• Create and edit content for such things as: websites, public announcements, fact sheets, presentations, social media, and other associated media and materials.
• Draft and revise content for articles in technical and general media publications, newsletters, and knowledge and technology transfer platforms.
• Create summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and general audiences.
• Provide support to outreach for stakeholder engagement activities.
• Track, monitor, and measure the effectiveness of stakeholder outreach and engagement activities.
• Work with government Public Affairs offices as needed to facilitate the logistics and development of various communications materials.
• Facilitate and moderate meetings and workshops in a variety of formats including in-person and web-based.
• Coordinate events to publicize Research & Development (R&D) activities.
• Manage logistics for working with government editors and Public Affairs as needed on the development and publication of communication materials and media.
• Build and maintain trust with key stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, communications, or a related discipline with 3+ years full-time professional experience in marketing and communications.
• Strong experience with Adobe Creative Cloud Software.
• Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Excellent verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills in English.
• Capable of transforming complicated subject matter and diverse source material into coherent, engaging, and accurate content for a variety of audiences.
• Ability to work independently or in small teams.
• Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
• Ability to thrive in highly flexible, rapidly changing, ambiguous work environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and tact.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines across multiple projects, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
The successful candidate will have:
• Demonstrated experience with writing and content development for a variety of communications platforms and publications.
• Proven knowledge of visual creation for an assortment of digital and print collateral.
• Practical experience with planning for conferences and executing a unified vision.
• Strong understanding of branding and integrated marketing best practices to implement a cohesive vision across projects.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Knowledge of the USDOT, transportation industry, CAV, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), and emerging technologies.
• Experience with Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.
• Experience with technical writing and following different communication style guides.
• Familiar with conducting photoshoots and editing media.
• Knowledge of web design and development.
• Project management experience.
• Experience with web conferencing tools and platforms, preferably Adobe Connect.
• Ability to learn substance of research quickly.
• Proven and measureable track record in business development.
• Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
• Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Marketing Communications
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.