The job of the Graphic Designer is to conceive, design, layout and coordinate creative design and interpretive themes and ideas to convey ideas, actions and key messages. The candidate will be able to take on a project from concept through to implementation. The candidate will also have experience across a variety of software and multimedia design platforms, leveraging customer and other organization branding, design guidelines and tools to create effective print and digital communication and design solutions. The candidate must be able to work well within a team and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment, building and responding to both short and long-term projects, deliverables and plans.
This position is part of a multidisciplinary communications and multimedia team including technology writers, a documentation and training specialist, business analyst, and Jira administrator. Collaboration with others across the in-house program team is important including with project managers, IT specialists and engineers, procurement, document and quality control, service desk and web developers. A customer service mindset and approach are critical.
Under the direction of the Sr. Communications and Multimedia Manager, your responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Creating, editing and producing graphics for documents, presentations, and strategic communication products including digital, print and physical mediums;
- Digital, print and physical mediums include but are not limited to: presentations, signage, posters and banners, email broadcasts and announcements, intranet and web materials, newsletters, events, videos, animations, diagrams and dashboards, instructional documents, executive summaries, one pagers, white papers and reports;
- Reviewing design brief needs, completing research and conceptualizing visuals based on requirements;
- Preparing rough drafts, storyboards and presenting ideas;
- Selecting and using appropriate design elements to meet the brief including colors, layouts, visuals (photography, illustrations, images, iconography, multimedia), typography, headlines and copy etc;
- Designing with a focus on key messages, content and copy to create integrated and impactful communication products and mediums;
- Analyzing, testing and adjusting graphics across necessary media and responding to feedback;
- Managing visual assets including selection and editing, databases, storage and usage rights;
- Preparing final layout including copy and artwork files;
- Managing reproduction and printing processes through in-house resources or outside vendors;
- Advancing communication processes, guidelines and standard procedures including document management, review and approval processes and quality control;
- Providing input and leadership on graphic technologies, processes and trends to keep work cutting-edge.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in graphic design or closely related discipline;
- 3+ years of experience creating digital, print and physical deliverables from concept through to production, execution and implementation;
- Hands on experience creating and editing graphic products using industry standard applications including but not limited to Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop for example) and Microsoft Office Suite including Word, PowerPoint and other presentation applications;
- Proven graphic design experience including portfolio;
- Experience working on initiatives and campaigns within an overall communications strategy;
- Ability and willingness to follow branding guidelines while also creating new design concepts;
- A strong understanding of effective branding, design, artwork and composition;
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and work flexibly;
- Attention to detail, ability to self-manage, check own work and maintain quality;
- Ability to work within a team and independently, working methodically to meet deadlines;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Must be able to work additional hours on occasion;
- Ability to travel locally required and at times regionally or nationally as requested;
- Ability to obtain a public trust clearance.
All candidates supporting the CMS programs must have lived in the United States at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years prior in order to be considered.
- Ability to work to 508 compliance;
- Experience with human centered design (HCD) framework a plus;
- Experience working with agile project management including in Jira and Confluence environments a plus;
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, Sharepoint and the Mac environment;
Experience in a similar working environment helpful but not required as new thinking, experience and ideas from other industries or work environments is considered a plus.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Visual and Graphic Design
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.