No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Safety Engineer to support the Training and Delivery Services program at the Center for Domestic Preparedness located in Anniston, Alabama. The Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP) is a national training facility located in Anniston, Alabama that prepares state and local emergency response personnel to respond to all hazards, including terrorist attacks using weapons of mass destruction, by providing hands on training. Training courses provided by CDP provide specific knowledge and expertise for deterrence, prevention and response to Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive (CBRNE), mass casualty, and hazardous materials incidents by providing advanced, hands-on and classroom-based state of the art training.
The Safety Engineer will be responsible for the planning, administrating, promoting and enforcing a comprehensive Safety and Health program for a Training Delivery Contract with FEMA / Department of Homeland Security Federal All-Hazards Training Facility to ensure safe and healthy working conditions in accordance with OSHA, DOT, EPA and other applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
- Ensure implementation of safety and health procedures.
- Provide continuous research on all safety requirements required under federal, state, and local agencies.
- Formulates and recommends policies and measures to reduce or eliminate accidents, health hazards, and damage to life and property.
- Submit incident/accident reports for student population and staff as required by contract.
- Maintains records of work related accidents, illness, chemical disposal and other records required by law.
- Assist training staff with safety requirements during implementation of new training venues and/or equipment.
- Supervise the inspection of facilities to detect existing or potential fire, accident, and health hazards; initiates corrective measures when required.
- Provide comprehensive safety training to staff (full time and part time employees)
Consult with departments on design and use of equipment, fire prevention, and safety programs.
- Conduct investigation work-related accidents and injuries.
- Develop, supervise, and coordinate training programs to increase proficiency in safe practice and promotes fire and safety consciousness.
- Advise management on safety matters and conducts safety conferences as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in safety, environmental, or equivalent discipline with 7+ years of related experience.
- Knowledge of OSHA, DOT, ADEM, and EPA requirements.
- Effective computer skills to include Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access).
- Due to Federal Contract Regulations, U. S. citizenship is required.
- Must have an accepted form of government-issued ID compliant with the Real ID Act
- Must submit to and obtain final suitability by successful completion of a pre-placement screening consisting of background check, financial institutions/credit bureau check, and disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and management skills.
- Experience with respiratory protection programs and training.
- Experience with powered industrial truck programs and training.
- Master’s Degree in relevant field.
- OSHA 501 certification.
- Professional certification (ASP, CSP, OHST, CHMM, etc.).
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.